Re: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE

David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Judy L" <Judy@home>

My virus protector is blocking the following

Date/Time :
8/08/2006 - 7:39:56 AM
Event :
Self-Extracting Cabinet has been blocked from starting.

Process :
C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD\INSTALL\MPAS-D.EXE
Parent :
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE
Vendor :
Microsoft Corporation
Version :
Self-Extracting Cabinet
Details :
Community Information - Technical Information

Anyone know what it is - if its safe or not?
Judy

OK what is your unamed "virus protector" ?
Was it truly anti virus software ? If yes, what was the name of the
infector provided If No, was it really a FireWall appluication that
blocked this ?

%windir%\system32\svchost.exe is a legititmate file.
More information is needed.

I was using Prevx1 as my virus protector. I thought it might have been
legitimate, but the virus protector thought otherwise.
Judy

.