Re: IE can't browse, Windows Explorer can

Removed old versions of Java and reinstalled just the newest
version on the Java web site downloads, which is
Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05) Did not see a
version 7 listed.

I've done that on my computer, will have to wait for access
to my wife's until she is not using it

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:%23GlSU41gGHA.2040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| Thank you very much. Have setup a work around with
| for her browser. Check the hosts file and all is well
| there, no strange entries, just the localhost
| I will check the Java and the programs you recommended.
| Presently running
| SpyBot S&D with all updates and Ad-Aware [ditto]. Also
| Spyware Blaster and using AVAST a/v, ZA [ free].
| I'll try the programs and report back in a few days when I
| have something new to say, Again, thank you for your
| and useful answer. Have a safe holiday.
| --
| James H. Macklin
| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| See more about your rights and
| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
| message news:e3NSu1xgGHA.4712@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| From: "Jim Macklin"
||| My wife's computer has apparently been infected with
||| form of browser hijack. Running ZA, get a lot of
| requests
||| for server rights on generichost win 32. Internet
| Explorer
||| will not fully open, typing in a url and it hangs for
| hours.
||| Scans for virus or spyware gave not detected anything.
||| Windows Explorer will go to the web and seems to have no
||| problems.
||| Can update av and spyware, etc.
||| Tried to reinstall Windows Media Center on the Dell E510
||| using the Dell supplied Windows CD. It installed but
||| require a call to India for activation. It did not
||| automatically activate even though it is a DELL
| BIOS/mobo.
||| Once I got through to India and got the new code it
||| activated and redetected "new hardware" The printer and
| the
||| trackball. Windows Update did not work using the IE
| Windows
||| Update link on the START menu. Windows Update was
| by
||| Windows Explorer. Installed Microsoft Update software
| and
||| installed all updates.
||| Went to and ran their full test,
||| everything reported OK. This was with Windows Explorer.
||| I suspect my wife dot some spyware or hijacker that was
||| removed but it has taken over the address bar/ browser
||| function of IE. Everything else seems normal, it was
||| serving as a zombie I think, the ZA icon showed a lot of
||| Internet activity which was on the server [unwanted, I
| think
||| my wife must have click yes].
||| Any suggestion to save me some time finding the solution
||| short of formatting C:?
||| Jim
|| If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to
| JRE Version 5.0,
|| then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions
| that are prior to JRE/JSE
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Lost My Desktop
    ... Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
  • Re: FTC Complaint filed
    ... There is no way to limit what M$ wants to install on your system because they hide the descriptions, ... And they don't need that particular download at all to put more copy protection code on your pc. ... I have long said, in my opinion and pre-Vista, that Windows 95 was the best OS Microsoft ever made. ... should be with your PCB software maker. ...
  • Re: 16 Bit Error
    ... Something was wrong with the download. ... was just lumped in with whatever the Repair Install did. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. ...
  • Solution for 646
    ... Before you install the update, click on the link on the page (cannot remember ... I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. ... "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to ... that button then run or save the installer package then proceed to execute ...
  • Re: please assist
    ... And also when i finally get into windows and just doing regular tasks as ... If you removed any softwares in step 7, restart computer. ... and Windows will want to install video card graphics drivers, ... then download the file to your ...