Re: New Virus Threat

From: "Joao Pinto" <Joao Pinto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Hi all
|
| There's a new virus that affects Windows Update. It turns Automatic Update
| in services.msc you can see it disables it. It also disables any version of
| Norton Anti-Virus.
|
| It creates a service called ##exmodul.exe that immediately connects to the
| internet sending thousands of infected mails. It has been identified as a
| trojan but it looks like a worm.
|
| It mutates from any number to another. I my case it started as 46exmodul.exe
| to 77exmodul.exe. The point is that this exploits a windows weakness and
| there's no tool to remove it from Norton or Windows Update and apparently
| neither Microsoft or Symantec knows about it.
|
| I have both Windows and Internet Security fully up-to-date.

Is there a NT Service called "Windows Log" created on the infected PC ?

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: Windows Update URL no longer functions
    ... Please fill out the form and let MS know what happened to your system so that they are aware of the damage done by Guided Help. ... The system basically comes up except that Windows Explorer took 15 minutes to finish what it was doing. ... That interference may be why the system will only access a blank page when invoking the Windows Update shortcut from the Start menu. ... All I can suggest you try at this point, besides uninstalling WinPatrol/Spybot and then rebuilding the winsock stack, is to Clean boot the system and then reset Windows Update's components via a Microsoft Fixit: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Smeared screen = spyware?
    ... > Windows Update, but they haven't picked up anything. ... Step four - download and install the latest video card driver. ... NVidia Video Card Drivers ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SVCHost keeps crashing
    ... I'd mentioned previously that I had run virus scanning and anit-spyware ... installed after device drivers and windows patches. ... So the machine is not fully patched at Windows Update? ... I didn't do a repair install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Update Hangs in Vista
    ... installing the WU Agent - see "A new version of the Windows Update ... You may need to add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone: ... Clearing Temporary Internet files, cookies and history in Internet Explorer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)