Re: Trojan found; Internet Explorer shuts down

From: "Monica" <Monica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| I keep getting a warning that my homepage is trying to be changed and
| Internet Explorer keeps shutting down and then it gives me an error message.
| I have Norton and ran my anti-virus protection but it didn't find anything.
| But when I ran Spybot it found the "Cool Web Search" trojan on my computer.
| I deleted all the files and manually went through the registry to delete any
| traces left from this. Now although I can get online for a couple minutes and
| the error message does not come up anymore, Internet Explorer still keeps
| shutting down. I installed the CW Shredder available on the web and it found
| one version of the coolwebsearch trojan and deleted it. But like I said, I am
| still having the same problem with Internet Explorer shutting down. I ran
| Ad-aware and it did not find anything else. I re-ran Spybot and it came up
| clean too. I am going to try and perform a clean boot later this afternoon
| but was hoping maybe someone could tell me what else I can do? I'm not sure
| if a clean boot will help solve my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
| Thanks.
|
| Monica

If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0,
then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions that are prior to JRE
Version 5.0. There are vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being exploited.
It is possible that is how you got infected with malware.

Therefore, it is highly suggested that if there are any prior versions of Sun Java
to Version 5 on the PC that they be removed and Sun Java JRE Version 5.0 Update 6
be installed ASAP.

Simple check, look under...
C:\Program Files\Java

The only folder under that folder should be the latest version...

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

For non-viral malware...

Please download, install and update the following software...

* Ad-aware SE v1.06
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

* SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/
http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

* SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
that may be on the PC.

* BHODemon

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3550&file=11&evp=245a87539eea8ed6904332b4b8b8442d

For viral malware...

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: Trojan found; Internet Explorer shuts down
    ... Internet Explorer still continues to shut down when I open it up though. ... install and update the following software... ... I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Internet Explorer keeps closing
    ... Internet Explorer ... Before cleaning download this: ... Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock ... select Safe mode without networking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Explorer.exe error when trying to open MY Computer on Windows
    ... | to access the Internet. ... | Is there a solution without trying to fix Internet Explorer using my Windows ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 100% usage
    ... I?d prefer to use Internet Explorer but can?t seem to solve ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Help Pls: Internet download
    ... I am able to connect to the internet using dailup, but Internet Explorer ... keeps shutting down automatically, also I am unable to download anything via ... such as virus definition updates. ...