Re: Malicious Adware

I am dead serious.
At least twice in this past year alone, I have instructed victims to use system restore after attempting to clean the computer. Certain infections make the system so unstable that it is a deck of cards waiting to fall down.

The system restore files cannot be modified easily, as many of the API calls are disabled. I'm not saying it can't be done, but 99% of malware files out there today are not capable of regenerating themselves from system restore.

wng

Peter Foldes wrote:
>respectfully disagree with Panda_man. Disabling system restore should
be a last resort option. An infected restore point is better than none at all.

Now that is what I call an intelligent saying or comment . You are not serious of course?

--
Microsoft MVP - Security 2006
http://spyware-free.us

  • >>>> SYSTEM RESTORE <<<<
    ... System Restore Not Working ... Windows Xp System Restore ... Windows Vista System Restore ... Where Are System Restore Files ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: AVG
    ... Well you did have a virus of some sort at one time ... It now resides in your System Restore files ... System Restore files to eliminate the prompt. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • WinXP Pro(Gold) Insecure System Restore File Permissions
    ... WinXP ProInsecure System Restore File Permissions ... System Restore files are stored in the "System Volume Information" ... You can find the path of the System Restore Directory by following ... These hive files are also freely accessible by every local user. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Defragmenter
    ... Gerry, Yes the user's problem could indicate limited or minimal free disk space but, by removing the system restore files, which he has done, he has gained sufficient space, assuming space was indeed the problem, to finish the defragment pass. ... Either way he would have had two option to have increased his free space: a) remove as many unwanted applications or files as possible, or b) remove the system restore files. ... No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. ...
  • Re: Trojan in System restore files
    ... up in my system restore files. ... It does nothing but waste space on drives that do not have system files on them, but windows defaults it to every drive on your system. ... save some disk space allocation on the other drives. ...