Re: Media Center Edition and AV

prosol wrote:

Can anyone suggest an anti-virus and firewall for a laptop running
Media
Center Edition? It is a Toshiba Qosmio, if that helps. I've had good
results with eAccelleration's Stop Sign in the past, but when I tried
to install that suite, I got blue screen errors (bsod) when certain
apps tried to access the internet.
Part 2 to this question would be: Has anyone tried AVG in an MCE
environment? Another app with which I've had good results .
Thank you, all,
Don from PA

Any good antivirus that runs on XP will run on XP MCE which is just a
superset of XP Pro. For a firewall, you can use XP Service Pack 2
Windows Firewall or a third-party one like Kerio or ZoneAlarm depending
on your needs and preferences. I use F-Prot AV on my Windows machines,
but there are lots of others. NOD32 and Kaspersky are considered
particularly good. Most techs (like me) who don't sell Norton and
McAfee products don't recommend them.

For a free AV, I personally prefer Avast to AVG.

In any case, make sure your computer is completely clean before
installing an antivirus program.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Unsupported Version
    ... Initially I received an error about Windows Firewall issues, ... instead errors out saying I am running an unsupported version of Windows ... my Windows info clearly says I am running Windows XP MCE. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • RPC Connection problems with XP Firewall, dispite proper exeptions
    ... So there seems to be a problem with DCOM or RPC over the Windows XP SP2 ... Windows Firewall: Allow local program exceptions ... If you enable this policy setting, Windows Firewall allows the computer to ... does not open TCP port 135 or 445. ...
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... Advanced tab on both NICs. ... "Windows Firewall cannot run because another ... Windows WORKSTATION XP Pro - Domain Member ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Here is what MS says about MCE 2005 and XP Pro
    ... install directly to 2005 and be done with the HP version. ... Newegg.com among others sells MCE 2005. ... WMCE 2005 upgrade from HP in late 2004 and 3 times after attempting to ... downloads and Windows LIVE progammable updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... How many restore points are you keeping? ... use the built in Windows firewall... ... the Windows Firewall in XP does a ... router or] other edge protection like SeconfigXP and practise ...