Re: What is a good free antivirus protection program? Is AVG a good free program?

"Leythos" <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> In article <tncgr1pq64lsjd6iehsva03od4grkfkk3d@xxxxxxx>,
> cquirkenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:32:59 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
>>
>> >Another urban myth goes down.
>>
>> Nope - not until we know:
>>
>> 1) Whether this is corporate or consumer "Norton"
>
> Since the "Norton" version is the Home/Consumer version, and the
> Symantec is the Corporate, when I stated Norton AV 2006, it implies
> Home/Consumer version - which it was - the 5 pack to be specific.
>
>> 2) Whether the settings were as default, and what they were
>
> Several Systems as follows:
>
> All systems were formatted/installed from scratch, MS Office 2003
> Professional Installed. All updates from Windows Update.
>
> Platforms:
>
> Windows 2000 Prof SP4
> Windows XP Prof SP2
>
>> 3) What the system spec was
>
> P3/966mhz/256MB RAM
> P4/3.2ghz/512MB RAM
>
>> It may be a case of "Norton AV won't slow you down as long as you have
>> an extra 512M RAM lying around to support the load; RAM is cheap" etc.
>
> Both systems responded the same after the initial startup - meaning that
> one the system was booted, loggeded in, and had time to complete loading
> the background apps, there was no detectable difference between the
> systems running with/without Norton 2006 AV.

That's a clean install, wait until Norton has "Found and Corrected" a few
things :)

  • Re: Help with slow computer
    ... started after I downloaded a Windows or HP update. ... I did use to have Norton. ... How much RAM do you have? ... What are your Total, Limit, and Peak values under Commit Charge (see ...
  • Re: Boot.MeBroot virus,
    ... Norton says it can not get rid of it and McAfee ... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund: ... Ensure all McAfee application windows are closed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Mail could not be started
    ... You can't automatically conclude that an update installed by Windows Update caused a problem. ... All of that is Microsoft. ... Once a virus managed to successfully attack our Norton expiry ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Code 8000FFFF
    ... Am using the Norton firewall, Windows ... Windows Update Control Panel item on a Windows Vista-based computer ... (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Internet Explorer loads extremely SLOW, PC makes distinct soun
    ... I never bought another antivirus ware until a couple days ago. ... NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP ... support Security Risk detection. ... This applies only to versions of Norton AntiVirus that support ...