Re: Remaining problems after SpySheriff infection

Run this removal tool

AntiPuper v1.1 by secured2k
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/AntiPuper.exe

This tool removes Spysheriff and unlocks the ability to change or disable
the desktop background image or active web desktop background. You will need
to manually change your desktop background.
Go to Control Panel > Display > Desktop Tab > Customize Desktop > Web Tab.
If you see any entries that are checked, uncheck them. Click OK.

"Leo" <Leo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On one of the accounts on my computer, running under XP, I attracted the
> SpySheriff Troyan horse last Monday. As a result the desktop of this
> account,
> was covered with a dark bleu background with a black box on it and stating
> in
> big red letters that the computer was infected. All icons were still
> visible.
> Furthermore every few seconds a pop-up message appeared from the task bar
> indicating the same.
>
> After running AdAware SE, I was able to remove quite a few files which
> were
> linked to this or other unwanted programs. The bleu desktop background
> with
> the black box and red letters as well as the pop ups remained, however.
> Subsequently, I downloaded and ran Microsoft antiSpyware. Again a few
> unwanted files were found and remove from my PC. The bleu desktop
> background
> with black box and red letters, however, was still there; the pop ups were
> gone.
> Finally, McAfee was able to find even more files which were removed. I am
> now left with the bleu background, from which the black box with the red
> text
> is gone. I am not able to change the background of my desktop back to the
> original picture via screen properties.
>
> Furthermore, when starting up this account a now always get the following
> 2
> error messages (translated from Dutch):
> VCClient.exe: Can not initialize this application properly (0xc0000135).
> Press OK to terminate the application.
> VCMain.exe: Can not initialize this application properly (0xc0000135).
> Press
> OK to terminate the application.
>
> In the folder C:/program files/common files a folder is present named
> "VCClient". This contains a number of files.
>
> My other account, on the same computer, seems not to be affected.
>
> Questions:
> How can I get back the control over my desktop background and remove the
> bleu background?
> What to about the error messages when starting up the account?
> What is the function of the files in the VCClient folder; can I delete
> this?
> What more can I do to prevent further infections like this (besides not
> logging on to the net ;-))?
> --
> Leo

  • Re: administrators account does not have all permissions
    ... Norton did not see it, stinger did not see it, trendmicro ... >priviledges for your account, by the selecting the ... >> account, nothing loads, I get my desktop background, ... >> open norton antivirus using the desktop icon ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Administrator logon freezes
    ... created renamed the Administrator's account and created ... with Administrator privileges. ... > desktop background, ... system restore and system repair with the WinXP CD ...
  • Absoutely desperate - Cannot create 2nd user account with admin pr
    ... I created a new user (administrator) account for my spouse. ... to this 2nd account and I cannot change the desktop background or access even ... the screensaver options due to privilege restrictions. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Remaining problems after SpySheriff infection
    ... As a result the desktop of this account, ... | the black box and red letters as well as the pop ups remained, ... | now left with the bleu background, from which the black box with the red text ... If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)