Re: WIN2000NT False prophets(!).

From: Steve Winograd [MVP] (bcmaven_at_mvps.org)
Date: 11/19/05

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:30:52 -0700

In article <3bIff.19011$Cq4.8994@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net>, Martin
Spencer-Ford <tpwuk.dash.zero.one@ntlworld.com> wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, Martin. I think that disabling the Messenger
>> service by default came in SP2:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#ELAA
>
>Thanks for correcting me Steve - I knew it was in one of them patches :)
>Still leaves me wondering why the change in policy - especially after
>such a long history of being a default service, not that i am
>complaining, one less thing to adjust.
>
>All the best
>
>Martin
>(TpwUK)

You're right, Martin. Microsoft used to make all Windows features
available by default. Users didn't have to install or enable anything
to have full functionality.

In reaction to the spread of malware, often through security holes in
its own products, Microsoft made a major shift, implementing a
"Trustworthy Computing" initiative throughout the company. Part of
that initiative is a philosophy that they call "Secure by Design,
Secure by Default, Secure in Deployment and Communication". They
first applied in to Windows in XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/transcripts/20030513SecurityMHTranscript.aspx

That philosophy includes disabling features, like the Alerter and
Messenger services, that are vulnerable to attack and are unnecessary
for most users. Users who need those services have to explicitly
enable them. Everyone else is protected automatically.

--
Best Wishes,
for everyone to see.  I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Strange Networking Problem
    ... If you have MSN Messenger installed, and you don't use it, you might try ... disabling or uninstalling it and then see if things work properly with ... See here to disable it: How to prevent Windows Messenger from running ... Then uninstall the leftover installation information file by going to ...
  • Re: Windows (XP Home) Messenger: how to disable
    ... >> windows when I boot. ... The Messenger Service is a network utility that's embedded in the operating ... firewall application or hardware device. ... fix it follow the advice in the earlier post about disabling the Messenger ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Error
    ... Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not secure. ... administrators to notify Windows users about their networks. ... Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP ...
  • messenger pop-up ads fix that works!
    ... If your using windows XP,NT and 2000 and getting pop-up ... I understand you are receiving "Messenger Service" pop ... network, as well as the Internet, to any system that has ... Disabling this service will not affect your .NET ...
  • messenger popup