Adding Server with Corporate: Standard on all PCs too?

googlespam_at_doreenbird.co.uk
Date: 11/16/05

Date: 16 Nov 2005 04:45:45 -0800

I am helping at a small charity where the PCs generally have AVG on
them, which probably updates automatically (although there are so many
problems in the IT setup, who knows ...) but I want to add a server to
their network, and in many ways start from scratch.

For this I need something that can run on a server, and I've got
Symantec Corporate Edition for a minimum of ten users from Civica for
117.

My inclination is to remove all antivirus and security stuff from the
PCs and just use Symantec Corporate for everything, to match the
server. But there may be resistance to this.

What would be the implications of running or not running the same
version on all machines? Is there a way of centralising the updates,
to save on downloads? (In Norton Corporate 7.0 I know that pushing out
the updates from the server just didn't work in my previous workplace
and I had to download the intelligent updater file and run it via login
scripts.)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Strange Server Behaviour
    ... Thanks for updates. ... I am Charles the backup of Brandy, as the Brandy is currently sick at home. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... | Subject: Re: Strange Server Behaviour ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: WSUS Client not yet reported
    ... The client still fails to report. ... Check your server status ... Suggestion 2: Check the IIS settings: ... any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SUS
    ... > I have setup a SUS Server on win2k. ... 0-2.reg will not configure your machine to automatically download updates from ... critical updates or service packs that your machine needs. ... It will also ask you if you want to install them, ...
  • Re: FYI for eTrust AV 7.x Users
    ... When I just had my little incident with the redistribution settings on the SBS, my clients were logging successful checks for updates, and the logs indicated that no updates were found. ... That turned out to be because I had not gone back and checked the redistribution server box for 8.x after reinstalling the redistribution server. ... installed the new remote install utility which works the same as v7 did - just edited the .ICF file the way I wanted it and ran the client upgrades from the server. ... I can't remember if it's a separate install, or if you have to click a box when you do the Agent install, but redistribution server is not installed by default. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: New Update for #70-299
    ... > Segment A contains a single server named TestKing1. ... > Segment B contains all other computers, ... > TestKing?s written security policy states that Segment B ... > Updates on all computers in Segment B to use ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)