Re: Boot Malmo on my USB Mem!! Help

From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) (cquirkenews_at_nospam.mvps.org)
Date: 10/22/05

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:43:07 +0200

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:49:26 +0100, "Robert Moir"

>Why is it worse advice than paying lip service to a product that false
>alarms on things?

The point around which these flames revolve, is whether the detection
is a false alarm or not - something that Zvi is fairly sure of, but
hasn't really explained. Basically, the way the detected malware
functions is not compatible with it being "live" or effective on a USB
stick - it's like finding a flea on your teddy bear; it can hardly be
said that your teddy bear is "infected" as such.

That's why Zvi's so sure it's safe to "shoot the messenger" here,
while his contender's instincts are sound in not wanting to asume that
an unexpected report indicates a failure of the scanner.

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
      "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
      ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
>----------------------- ------ ---- --- -- - - - -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cognitive radio
    ... know about the probability of false alarm. ... of detection by first finding the individual detection using ... I am also working on Spectrum Sensing with energy detector and false alarm probability, and I am just begining to work in MATLAB. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... The detection did coincide with some ... >> nefarious virus like activity and was therefore NOT a false alarm. ... and at the same time set the terms ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... The detection did coincide with some ... >> nefarious virus like activity and was therefore NOT a false alarm. ... and at the same time set the terms ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Motion detectors for a scratchbuilt system
    ... detection and zero falsing outdoors. ... An occasional false alarm is OK, because the final goal is to ... The plan is to use the PIR to assist with that. ... those are even less than the Crow PIR, ...
    (alt.security.alarms)