Re: Virus/adware/spyware -- is there all-in-one protection in one

From: Sharon (Sharon_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/21/05

    Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:40:02 -0700

    Shenan:
    I, too, do nearly ALL these things you've taken great care to outline in
    your posting.. Last October, while updating Norton religiously, I got the
    Blaster worm on one home pc and THEN, just o P*** me off, the other one
    contracted a Backdoor Trojan! As the Norton rep told me way back then, "we
    don't do trojans".. I exploded. All that money and you DON'T DO TROJANS?!
    Okay, so I don't do Norton anymore then!

    I went to Trend Micro's PC-CILLIN Internet Security program, once I got rid
    of the little nasties [and lost every darn think I had on both pc's in the
    process of cleaning up] -- it's the ONLY AV program that could identify the
    trojan and get rid of it, out of many that I tried. It does spyware too..
    double bonus. I also run SpyBot, it never catches anything anymore, because
    PC-cillin has already gotten to it first - but I run it anyway just to be
    sure. I have 6 computers scattered around town [mom, sis's, and 3 of my own]
    so I have to have a dependable set of programs to keep them safe. As an AV
    backup, I'm using the free AVAST! antivirus software, too - it's also on duty
    and never catches anything, due to PC-cillin being such a bulldog.

    SO.. to make a long story short[er].. What you've outlined in your posting
    is EXCELLENT ADVICE -- well-put, with a sense of humor to boot! Hey
    People..!! You need to print this advice and adopt it as your religion!!
    Because if you think ANY of these hackers who write these trojans and other
    viruses are EVER gonna back off, you are VERY much mistaken. It's only gonna
    get worse every hour of every day. It is a pain in the butt, but if you love
    using your pc, and hate spending $$$$$$ to get it fixed every time it gets
    attacked, these protective programs are absolutely NECESSARY. Set the
    programs to update automatically, and you'll not even know it's doing its job!

    THANK YOU, for taking the time to put all these recommendations in writing
    for those who don't have a clue, or those who are looking for a clue! I have
    never seen it spelled out anywhere so well. Bless you for caring! And let's
    hope and pray that some of the people reading this will install and eternally
    update their pc's, so that the rest of us don't keep getting infected by
    them! JUST DO IT, people.. you'll not regret taking the time. ..Sharon..

    "Unknown" wrote:

> [...]
    > > without doing the research.. And all of a sudden your screen starts filling
    > > up with advertisements or your Internet seems much slower or your home page
    > > won't stay what you set it and goes someplace unfamiliar to you. This is
    > > spyware. There are a whole SLEW of software packages out there to get rid
    > > of this crud and help prevent reinfection. Some of the products already
    > > mentioned might even have branched out into this arena. However, there are
    > > a few applications that seem to be the best at what they do, which is
    > > eradicating and immunizing your system from this crap. Strangely, the best
    > > products I have found in this category ARE generally free. That is a trend
    > > I like. I make donations to some of them, they deserve it!
    > >
    > > Two side-notes: Never think one of these can do the whole job.
    > > Try the first 5 before coming back and saying "That did not work!"
    > > Also, you can always visit:
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > > For more updated information.
    > >
    > > Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
    > > http://www.safer-networking.net/
    > >
    > > Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
    > > http://www.lavasoft.de
    > >
    > > CWSShredder (Free!)
    > > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    > >
    > > Hijack This! (Free)
    > > http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    > > ( Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )
    > >
    > > SpywareBlaster (Free!)
    > > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
    > >
    > > IE-SPYAD (Free!)
    > > http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm
    > >
    > > ToolbarCop (Free!)
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    > >
    > > Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
    > > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
    > >
    > > Browser Security Tests
    > > http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    > >
    > > The Cleaner (49.95 and up)
    > > http://www.moosoft.com/
    > >
    > > That will clean up your machine of the spyware, given that you download and
    > > install several of them, update them regularly and scan with them when you
    > > update. Some (like SpywareBlaster and SpyBot Search and Destroy) have
    > > immunization features that will help you prevent your PC from being
    > > infected. Use these features!
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, although that will lessen your popups on the Internet/while
    > > you are online, it won't eliminate them. I have looked at a lot of options,
    > > seen a lot of them used in production with people who seem to attract popups
    > > like a plague, and I only have one suggestion that end up serving double
    > > duty (search engine and popup stopper in one):
    > >
    > > The Google Toolbar (Free!)
    > > http://toolbar.google.com/
    > >
    > > Yeah - it adds a bar to your Internet Explorer - but its a useful one. You
    > > can search from there anytime with one of the best search engines on the
    > > planet (IMO.) And the fact it stops most popups - wow - BONUS! If you

    • Re: Virus/adware/spyware -- is there all-in-one protection in one
      ... All that money and you DON'T DO TROJANS?! ... >> Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. ... >> basics of the Windows XP Firewall as it is today. ... >> ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Reply to Shenan Stanley on my original post
      ... > and your antivirus software is running happily in the background at the ... > Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. ... > better protect your Windows system: ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    • Re: Make my computer secure
      ... and your antivirus software is running happily in the background at the time ... But I will go with the Windows Operating System theme ... Have I mentioned that Microsoft has some stuff to help secure your computer ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Reply to Shenan Stanley on my original post
      ... and your antivirus software is running happily in the background at the time ... Windows Update ... Protect your PC ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    • Re: Trojan patch
      ... There are many trojans. ... You need good antivirus software, ... * Use a good firewall to block access to your computer from the Internet ... For a good hardware firewall, see NetGear or Linksys or DLink - they all ...