Re: Security Alert Question

From: Phyllis (someone_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 08/16/05

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:49:42 -0500

I just heard back from my internet provider and they informed me that "Our
email servers were experiencing problems, but everything should be resolved
now." Seems that they could have informed their customers of that before we
all worried ourselves silly trying to fix the problem.

"Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reset my wireless router and seems to have fixed the problem. At least,
>when I opened OE I didn't get the security warning. Thanks for your help,
>I should have thought of resetting the router.
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>> 'Phyllis' wrote, in part:
>> | I have cable connection through a wireless router. The thing is
>> nothing has
>> | changed, I have had the same wireless setup for over a year and the
>> same
>> | cable connection for several years.
>> _____
>>
>> What you report is almost assuredly NOT a virus problem.
>> Your ISP support people should be able to walk you through any necessary
>> corrections, especially if you have obtained your wireless router through
>> the ISP. If you have a good ISP, they should be able to resolve the
>> problem while you are on the phone (some ISPs have a special purpose
>> 'instant message' dialogue which can be a lot quicker than phone contact.
>>
>> Just guessing, but your wireless router contains a DHCP server (Dynamic
>> Host Configuration Protocol server - sounds big, but it's just a chip in
>> the box in this case) that leases an IP address to your computer and for
>> some reason that lease has not been renewed and has expired. Your
>> wireless router manual should give some idea of how to proceed. It could
>> be as simple as resetting the wireless router (don't try this without the
>> manual or help from the ISP because this suggestion is just a guess. An
>> additional guess - the constant security updates from Microsoft add
>> detection of vulnerabilites and warn when POSSIBLE security problems are
>> found - POSSIBLE problems that previously did not result in a warning.
>>
>> It would be real nice if you would post any resolution to the problem to
>> this thread.
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>>
>> "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have cable connection through a wireless router. The thing is nothing
>>>has changed, I have had the same wireless setup for over a year and the
>>>same cable connection for several years.
>>>
>>> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: receive one email address on notebook
    ... The desktop is wired to a wireless router and the notebook has a wireless connection to my homenetwork. ... I have one isp for internet and mailbox. ... only works with retail programs. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    ... G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp but ... we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer ... reducing the MTU value from 1500, to something lower, ie. ... on ORANGE ISP. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    ... G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp but ... we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer ... busy, he has a hosts list to filter sites, the DNS server could be down or ... If he could connect to sites via his old ISP and can't now, ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Do I need "wireless plan" from my ISP?
    ... all you need to do is purchase a wireless router or a standalone access ... cables. ... Earthlink while the other end will connect to the WAN/Internet port of your ... incurring additional fees from your ISP. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: anyone got anything further on euro1net?
    ... visa company will not take claims unless euro1net do not ... resolve the issue, although they can be said to be in breach of ... Should I leave my wireless router on, will it reconnect if the service ... Mine has been clear of the ASDL link for a few ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)