Re: Javabyte/verify virus, HOW DO I GET RID OF IT? AVG COULDN'T

From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) (cquirkenews_at_nospam.mvps.org)
Date: 08/06/05

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:14:31 +0200

On 5 Aug 2005 11:26:51 -0700, bigrog_98@yahoo.com wrote:

>Now I am thinking of returning to Norton.

Norton has a bad track record where compatibility with WinME is
concerned, over and above the usual concerns one has with it:
  - built-in commercial malware (DRM)
  - bloat and performance impact
  - costly, dies every year

Commercial malware simply isn't the primary concern of any traditional
antivirus, though lately they've been playing "catch up", with
Kaspersky in the lead there (now that's an av that might be worth
paying for, with NOD32 a close second).

Commercial malware vendors tend to threaten law suits against anyone
who calls them that, and this often pressurises vendors to drop
detection. - so it's best to use multiple products geared for
commercial malware, while avoiding the 200+ fake "scanners" that are
themselves commercial malware.

I'm using AdAware, Spybot and Microsoft AntiSpyware (which may not run
on Win9x, including WinME).

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
      "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
      ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"