Re: Javabyte/verify virus, HOW DO I GET RID OF IT? AVG COULDN'T

From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) (cquirkenews_at_nospam.mvps.org)
Date: 08/06/05

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:08:06 +0200

On 5 Aug 2005 07:35:05 -0700, bigrog_98@yahoo.com wrote:

>I am using "WINDOWS ME" operating system.

OK...

>I caught this virus today after tryiny to listen to an "oldie" tune,
>after hearing it on the radio yesterday.

>AVG cannot remove it.

Well, if it's active, that's not really a surprise.

>What do I do? Should I go out and buy Norton Utilities?

No, don't buy anything - especially Norton :-)

Rather, prepare some tools on a known clean PC and then approach this
problem formally, i.e. from diskette boot without running the infected
Windows. You will need a DOS mode boot diskette, plus a DOS-based av
scanner such as from www.f-prot.com, www.nod32.com or www.sophos.com
(or the rescue diskettes from AVG).

Make sure the scanners are up to date, then...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm

You can try other free tools like McAfee Stinger or the more
comprehensive Trend SysClean, that can be run from Safe Mode. Many
malware don't run from Safe Mode, and so not be able to defend
themselves or be inadvertently protected by the Windows "that file is
in use and can't be edited or deleted" effect.

Finally, remember to purge your System Restore data once the virus is
gone and the system is working OK. Make a fresh restore point
straight after purging the old (and infected) ones, so that you have a
known-clean baseline you can safely fall back to.

   Can't stop what's coming
   Can't stop what's on it's way (Tori Amos)

  • Re: Possible Virus; Need Xp Gurus Help
    ... missing from Norton. ... opinion" av scanner). ... Please download, install and update the following software... ... I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode. ...
  • Re: W32 trojan-gen {VB}
    ... Scanned i Safe Mode with: Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky - only Kaspersky ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SOS: Trojan on XP is not permitting to function any application
    ... I could run AVG scanner and removed 29 instances of trojan ... and Safe mode with command prompt is working. ... Anything else which might have gone wrong while removing the trojan ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
  • Re: req help: norton cannot delete eied s7 c 77.exe download.trojan
    ... Fix fails, quarantine fails, delete fails, ... Use the following Multi AV scanner tool. ... McAfee and Trend, scan in Safe Mode. ... Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL -- ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Trojan Horse - Access Denied trying to Delete File
    ... This is only a "SCANNER", ... Can you unconfuse me as to how I GET RID of this Trojan Horse?? ... I tried booting into SAFE mode, ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)