Re: Javabyte/verify virus, HOW DO I GET RID OF IT? AVG COULDN'T

From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) (cquirkenews_at_nospam.mvps.org)
Date: 08/06/05

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:08:06 +0200

On 5 Aug 2005 07:35:05 -0700, bigrog_98@yahoo.com wrote:

>I am using "WINDOWS ME" operating system.

OK...

>I caught this virus today after tryiny to listen to an "oldie" tune,
>after hearing it on the radio yesterday.

>AVG cannot remove it.

Well, if it's active, that's not really a surprise.

>What do I do? Should I go out and buy Norton Utilities?

No, don't buy anything - especially Norton :-)

Rather, prepare some tools on a known clean PC and then approach this
problem formally, i.e. from diskette boot without running the infected
Windows. You will need a DOS mode boot diskette, plus a DOS-based av
scanner such as from www.f-prot.com, www.nod32.com or www.sophos.com
(or the rescue diskettes from AVG).

Make sure the scanners are up to date, then...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm

You can try other free tools like McAfee Stinger or the more
comprehensive Trend SysClean, that can be run from Safe Mode. Many
malware don't run from Safe Mode, and so not be able to defend
themselves or be inadvertently protected by the Windows "that file is
in use and can't be edited or deleted" effect.

Finally, remember to purge your System Restore data once the virus is
gone and the system is working OK. Make a fresh restore point
straight after purging the old (and infected) ones, so that you have a
known-clean baseline you can safely fall back to.

   Can't stop what's coming
   Can't stop what's on it's way (Tori Amos)