Re: MBlast Symptoms - MBlast not found???

From: Parley D. Kennelly, CPA (parley_at_reissjacksonnot.com)
Date: 08/03/05

Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:56:48 -0700

"Parley D. Kennelly, CPA" <parley@reissjacksonnot.com> wrote in message
news:eb5xL62lFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Parley D. Kennelly, CPA wrote:
>>
>>> Rob,
>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>> Yes, I did a complete reinstall of WinXP SP2 and then installed Norton
>>> Antivirus. Then I ran all the updates from Microsoft. I would
>>> consider that a major change in the system.
>>>
>>> I am able to do a shutdown -a to stop the restart process. How do I
>>> check the log files to see which process was stopped?
>>>
>>> I've run the full system scan with Norton Internet Security 2005 with
>>> current updates and it comes up clean.
>>
>> Malke's advice would be a good place to start before you move onto my
>> ideas below...
>>
>> For the log files, open the start menu, then control panel, performance
>> and maintenance, administrative tools, and lastly double-click event
>> viewer.
>>
>> Inspect the system log, we're looking for processes that fail round about
>> the time of each boot up and/or when the error message appears on screen.
>>
>> Are you using any remote control software such as PC Anywhere? Did the
>> errors not appear until you installed the AntiVirus software? These are
>> examples of the sort of things that have to change the way the OS works,
>> and hence have a chance of causing this kind of problem.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Rob Moir
>> Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
>> Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
>> http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
>> Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.
>>
> Thank you both,
>
> I ran HJT and had it fix a couple of questionable items and items that I
> thought were fine but that I could restore later if I needed to. It seems
> to have worked. If I have any other problems I'll let you know.
>
> -Parley

Ok, this is strange (to me). I was getting an error message from Norton
Internet Security and googled it, I found others with the same problem.
After a couple of misfires, I think I got it all straightened out. A few
uninstalls and startup configuration changes and I think I've got it fixed.
I was able to use several programs and browse at home last night without any
error messages or hang-ups.

Thanks for your help.

-Parley