Re: trojan.bho.nameshifter.dk

From: Bigbruva (Richardh_at_dontusethis.ws)
Date: 07/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:38:34 -0700

Hi "Fixit"

I suspect you are referring to the free beta of the Microsoft Windows
Anti-spyware tool (or MWAS)
This malware is not a virus but a trojan dropped on your system, most
probably by some spyware.

First off, make sure you have the very latest version of the scanners (in
MWAS's case this is build 615) and the latest definition file updated (again
for MWAS this should be 5737 or later)

Next have you tried running either of the Spyware scanners from Safe Mode?
This is very important as it will allow them to work while the spyware is
inactive.
To do this you will have to reboot your computer and press the F8 key a few
times when you see the black BIOS screen appear.
Then select Safe Mode from the menu
Once it has started up run the scanners in this mode.
Once the scans have completed your can then reboot into normal mode and see
if the Trojan has been removed

Let us know how you get on.

BB

PS - Just for the record "NoAdware" has a bit of a checkered past and it not
a piece of software I would usually recommend (see
www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm for more info). I would trust
MWAS or Lavasoft's Ad-AwareSE more than NoAdware, but this is my personal
view and NoAdware do seem to be cleaning up their act so there more recent
software must be better than it used to be.