Re: trojan.bho.nameshifter.dk

From: Bigbruva (Richardh_at_dontusethis.ws)
Date: 07/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:38:34 -0700

Hi "Fixit"

I suspect you are referring to the free beta of the Microsoft Windows
Anti-spyware tool (or MWAS)
This malware is not a virus but a trojan dropped on your system, most
probably by some spyware.

First off, make sure you have the very latest version of the scanners (in
MWAS's case this is build 615) and the latest definition file updated (again
for MWAS this should be 5737 or later)

Next have you tried running either of the Spyware scanners from Safe Mode?
This is very important as it will allow them to work while the spyware is
inactive.
To do this you will have to reboot your computer and press the F8 key a few
times when you see the black BIOS screen appear.
Then select Safe Mode from the menu
Once it has started up run the scanners in this mode.
Once the scans have completed your can then reboot into normal mode and see
if the Trojan has been removed

Let us know how you get on.

BB

PS - Just for the record "NoAdware" has a bit of a checkered past and it not
a piece of software I would usually recommend (see
www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm for more info). I would trust
MWAS or Lavasoft's Ad-AwareSE more than NoAdware, but this is my personal
view and NoAdware do seem to be cleaning up their act so there more recent
software must be better than it used to be.

"Fixit" <Fixit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There. Been pointed in your direction - hope somebody can help. I have
> Torjan.bho.nameshifter.dk virus. MWAV finds it and then cliams to remove
> it.
> But when I re-start it comes back again( Running XP). I downloaded
> Noawawre-
> ran a scan - it found it- so I purchased the full copy - ran the scan (
> all
> in safe mode) and deleted the virus.
> However each time I restart - it comes back again.
>
> Any help - before the dusbin gets a new computer.
> Thanks for any help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PL HELP!!!my system is infected with winavxxx and many more spywar
    ... You were given magnificent advice by 'Kayman' - it may all be absolutely correct. ... the web searching for a medicine properties and I guess it was when the virus ... detect the Trojan nor it avoided its entrance. ... When I started in Safe Mode, I was not able to see the Control Panel icon ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Bloodhound.exploit.6 Trojan
    ... It is not clear to me that you have removed this virus. ... What does it mean when it said in Regedit Default REG_SZ no value set ... Each and every key in the registry has a single default ... How can I get my computer to go into safe mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A teetering system!
    ... To clean your system boot into safe mode and run the spyware and virus ... All virus and spyware cleaning should be done from safe mode. ... Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virus cant be removed!
    ... | have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I ... | I have started in Safe Mode With Command Prompt. ... There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Trojan Horse - popinstlite.exe
    ... The PC wouldn't boot into Safe Mode properly, ... | manually deleted the other files in the Data folder where the virus was ... I suggest using the below Multi AV scanning tool which provides scanners ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)