Re: What Virus Program Do You Use

From: nondisputandum (freeagent_at_nondisputandum.com)
Date: 07/02/05

Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:49:08 GMT

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:16:51 -0700, "boaz" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My last attemp to figure out which virus program to use seems to be a
>failure. It ends up way off the topic. And I have been thinking about what
>the problem was. After couple hours, I've finally realized that I was
>asking the wrong question for my problem. My mistake is to ask "Which virus
>program to use?" Well... this is a dumb question. The answer is simply "It
>depends". Interestingly, this is what I got from my last post.
>
>So, to start from squre one, I will ask a very different question for the
>same problem. I hope this time you guys can help me out better.
>
>I am in a process of getting a virus program.
>So, what virus program do you guys use?
>

>So far, Jim suggested AVAST, and Dave suggested AVG. The major reason seems
>to be because they are free.

Perhaps ad the question: "& why".
I've used all the free scanners an it is my opinion that AGV, Avast &
AntiVir are the best. Well,.. just to say that difference is in
details.
Easy update, get AVG or Avast
Los resources, get AntiVir
Overal recognition: AVG & AntiVir, with Avast just behind. BUt that's
for all known virusses, in the wild it will make no difference.
Avast gave some problems at the last upgrade with ZoneLabs
Now I combine (as proposed) AVG with Kerio (firewall)
These 3 don't perform less than payware.
More at:
http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_virus.html

--
www.nondisputandum.com - soft reviews:
  freeware to Protect & Clean your PC

Relevant Pages

  • Help! AV-which one
    ... I have recently been trying out first Avast and then second Antivir as an ... alternative to AVG as I have heard they both have fared better in tests. ... I started with Avast but have had trouble trying to get it to scan e- ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is AVG anti-virus free edition or Avast Free Edition better?
    ... I will be willing to pay for anti-spyware programs as it seems that free anti-spyware solution do not provide real time protection - either AVG anti-spyware or Lavasoft Ad-aware Plus. ... Share you opinions here for options between AVG and Avast. ... AntiVir has better coverage, even in its free version, than does AVG or Avast, but AntiVir is nagware. ...
  • Re: Two computer questions for those more "gifted" than I
    ... Made a big error in post should read Avast on the boot scan -- great feature ... try Avast for your virus program - smaller and less intrusive than AVG and I used and loved AVG for years - the boot scan in AVG is a terrific feature that works well and it alone is enough to use Avast over AVG - and oh yes - it is free ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: What is the best free av app
    ... AntiVir consistently does better at catching the malware as well as Exploit code. ... When I submitted a VML in HTML Exploit last week, AVG and Avast failed to recognize it while ... Thank you David. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Password vault software
    ... Although it might have higher coverage than AVG, I couldn't take the constant banner crap. ... A window appears during the daily update that will push you out of any game and be on top of all other windows. ... You could save a partition image before installing AntiVir and then restore it after the expiration to again install AntiVir but then you lose any other changes made to that partition over that 3-month interval. ... If you just look at the average of Windows and macro viruses (what Avast can handle), Avast is 97.01% versus 94.46% for AVG. ...
    (alt.computer.security)