Re: MS AntiSypware bug?

From: Peter Foldes (okf22_at_email.msn.com)
Date: 05/25/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:32:23 -0400

It is a known bug. See numbers 106 and 107

Known bugs/errors/unpopular features
  1.. Various mis-spellings and errata (e.g. "TxtFocus")
  2.. Scan stops unexpectedly when clicking areas like "Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1"
graphic or some menu items
  3.. Win9x installs are not supported. (expected behavior)
  4.. Enterprise end user could block processes domain administrator wants to run
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892375)
  5.. CoolWebSearch, VX2 versions not detected (for cws run antispy in safe mode
twice, or http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html)
  6.. False positives ( try submitting yours at:
http://www.spynet.com/falsepositive.aspx )
  Vendors:fill out a dispute form located at http://www.spynet.com/vendors.aspx
  7.. TAPICFG.EXE
  8.. EZCyberSearch
  9.. Network Essentials
  10.. Various false PC Spy (Commercial Key Logger)
  11.. Remote control software (VNC et.al.)
  12.. chktrust.exe part of .Net Framework.
  13.. sporder.dll (sometimes real)
  14.. IE5 Toolbar Wallpaper from MS IE5 Web Accessories is falsely identified as
GonnaSearch
  15.. Outlook Express Mail Store folders (QUARANTINE, don't delete, till you
determine what is)
  16.. MessengerPlus
  17.. Weatherbug/AOL (only advanced features are spyware)
  18.. SearchSquire (bug filed, slated for exception)
  19.. script file and other comments identified as virus (iMesh)
  20.. tvenuax.dll (TruVoice file)
  21.. PCduo
  22.. eloglist.exe and psexec.exe from sysinternals
  23.. nProtect KeyCrypt 1.0
  24.. RadLight
  25.. Nullsoft Sex
  26.. Zipdll.dll
  27.. TimeSync from Blue Nomad for a PDA
  28.. Spybot Search & Destroy (some immunity registry entries)
  29.. beta.toolbar.msn.com as a browser hijacker homepage
  30.. SCRRUN.DLL (sometimes)
  31.. MediaTickets CDT domains
  32.. HelpHost.exe to go to remote host windows.microsoft.com
  33.. WINREP
  34.. Borland Database Engine
  35.. nsldapssl32v30.dll (Netscape and others)
  36.. moo.dll (MIRC)
  37.. Hummingbird DM Toolbar
  38.. StartNow Hyperbar
  39.. cat.exe (unix cat utility for windows)
  40.. ZipGenius
  41.. BearShare lite and pro (adware if free)
  42.. DOT.exe
  43.. instsrv.exe from nT Resource Kit
  44.. StumbleUpon Toolbar [2]
  45.. Lucent DSA
  46.. EditPad.exe by jgsoft.com
  47.. winsys.exe
  48.. PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine)
  49.. TrayIcon V1.00
  50.. flashget with no banners
  51.. "Sports" and other folders in Favorites
  52.. Ace AHTML Pro 5
  53.. BEEE from IOpus is detected as a keylogger
  54.. Bootvis
  55.. diskeeper 9 Pro defrag at boot up (with MSAS set to start at bootup)
  56.. ImagePak

  57.. DPI settings (not default) corrupt display
  58.. scan time settings (12:00 PM, et.al.) not correct.
  59.. Notification icons behave incorrectly
  60.. Non-english time display problems
  61.. Tracks Eraser failures
  62.. Multi-user installs not working (Limited User errors, Fast User Switching.
etc)
  63.. Flying Alerts (Taskbar not at the bottom)
  64.. Script blocking not manageable
  65.. Abnormal Termination (Shell Execute hooks, et.al.)
  66.. No "Failed Install" notice
  67.. Tracking Cookies not deleted. (This feature is not included in this beta
release, next version will do that)
  68.. Accessibility features not included (for the beta)
  69.. Reactivate blocked items not working (There is a workaround. Copy out, delete
original, copy back)
  70.. CPU usage 100% (under study for specific hardware causes , stop antivirus
while spyscanning)
  71.. network and firewall related problems (winsock):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
  72.. Failure to launch UI under XP after apparently successful install
  73.. Script and batch files working directory defaults to ../system32 (on unblock
instance only)
  74.. PrimalScript editor - edit runs file
  75.. "gcasDtServHolder" popup window (possibly Tweak UI's alt-tab setting)
  76.. Hibernation slow or disabled on laptops
  77.. Ignore closes the browser
  78.. User Redirected Shell folders (My Documents, and others)
  79.. 'Results of scan' (Show Summary) popup can't be disabled.
  80.. terminal serve (Remote Desktop) into a computer, the MS AntiSpy(beta) icon
will turn blue
  81.. Firewall dead (see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350 )
  82.. ansi.sys disabled
  83.. Network Connection folder icons no longer listed as 'connected' after doing a
winsock fix. (toggle the checkboxes off, restart, and on, in Firewall settings,
advanced tab)
  84.. Kaaza files lost
  85.. proxy error on manual update or report submission (Sun Java VM? Non-MS
browser, like firefox? Try later, server down?)
  86.. Dell machines ask for setup disk on scan
  87.. Shortcut 'hotkey' delayed opening.
  88.. totally successful scans only happen in Safe Mode
  89.. Menu mouse-overs fail (after opening a menu)
  90.. HOSTS file permission and blocking features.
  91.. Windows Explorer menu item missing (Conflict caused by ATI Mulltimedia DAO
(uninstal-reinstall it))
  92.. RUN Key in the registry is not cleared. (perhaps virus rather than spyware,
as well as maybe a bug or needed feature)
  93.. Search not restored after search spy/hijack removal.
  94.. Multiple instances of gcasservalert
  95.. scan on startup impacts system performance during the scan
  96.. version wrong in Help, About
  97.. WINTOOLS lockup (uninstall from add/remove app, and run a safe mode scan)
  98.. TeaTimer from spybot causes performance hit
  99.. Realtime Protection popup closes too fast
  100.. Windows Key (Winkey) functions disabled (R and others)
  101.. home page changes to MSN (Fast User Switching issue)
  102.. "gcasServ.exe - No Disk" popup when flashdrive inserted into USB
  103.. Horizontal scroll bar missing in spyware scan results
  104.. slow scan startup
  105.. Hibernation problems with some antivirus software (not defined yet)
  106.. gcasServ.exe (installer conflicts for 16-bit apps)
  107.. gcasServ.exe (process continues running needlessly)
  108.. "Allowed" title for popup for 'blocked' event
  109.. MSNList.com not detected
  110.. DSO Exploit not detected (Spybot S&D DSO Exploit Fix :
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html )
  111.. antispy 'timed' popup windows have no 'close' option
  112.. Deactivated Checkpoints Cannot Be Reactivated
  113.. Virtual Menory errors ( run a deep scan in Safe Mode.)
  114.. "unblock" instruction fails
  115.. System Restore not cleaned (use 'disk cleanup's option for that)
  116.. Scan results window missing from the 'z' order. (can't alt-tab to scan
results window) (added Feb/01/2005)
  117.. TweakUI'a Alt-Tab setting hides alerts. (added Feb/01/2005)
  118.. Intel Storage Driver causes the crash. (added Feb/01/2005)
  119.. Help/About shows wrong version of definitions (click the 'Diagnostic"
button). (added Feb/01/2005)
  120.. Manual update process seems to freeze the app at times when actually
downloading new updates. (added Feb/10/2005)
  121.. "System Inoculation Wizard " listed in help, but not included in this beta

--
Peter
"billie317718" <billie317718@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F88D66F-CE03-467A-80FE-3AD749959DBB@microsoft.com...
>I called MS support, and tried to report what I believe may be a bug. They
> gave me a case number (srx050521600292) and told me to come here.
> The problem is I have a constant button in the bar at the bottom of my
> screen (like when you minimize a program) that has the MS antispyware icon,
> but I can't click on it to bring it up and it won't go away. It reads
> "gcasDtServHolder"
> If it helps, I am running XP. Thank you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 13.1 annoying limitations
    ... I sometimes feel sorry for those that do because their 'clients' seem to expect perfection and want every bug fixed almost instantly. ... I expect that, since the Bluetooth issue has been around for a while, it is likely a question of it being a hard fix or there is insufficient manpower to get it done, or both. ... I know I have a fair list of bugs I need to address in my own code, but I don't have the manpower to get them fixed, and there are a lot of big features I am expected to add which are of higher priority for the guys paying the bills. ... Generally speaking, it is as good as Windows 7, and before that Windows 2k, and much better than any verions of Windows prior to the latter, as well as Vista. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: looking for RealBasic programmer
    ... You go on and on and on about your windows help bug. ... called new features as a way to con people into buying and upgrading, ... Nor can you assign function keys within the properties windows to ...
    (comp.lang.basic.realbasic)
  • Re: Robots and astronomy
    ... interface to alternate sounds and generate sounds. ... tools that people don't see that come with a Windows OS. ... In 1989 I had dim features in my ... are made to be precise in a factory and repeat millions of sequences ...
    (sci.astro)
  • Re: Robots and astronomy
    ... interface to alternate sounds and generate sounds. ... tools that people don't see that come with a Windows OS. ... In 1989 I had dim features in my ... language on a russian super-computer. ...