Re: lsass.exe?

From: Ian Kenefick (
Date: 04/26/05

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:11:19 +0100

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:25:38 -0700, "Dean J Garrett"
<> wrote:

>I see a file in c:\windows\system32 called lsass.exe
>Is this a virus? Can I delete it? I ran TrendMicro sysclean, but it was not
>identified as a virus.
>I can no longer login to my Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed.
>The minute I do, I get a message saying
>"Shutdown initiated by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM
>c:\windows\system32\services.exe (or sometimes it says lsass.exe) terminated
>It then reboots, and the same thing happens again... If I reboot in Safe
>Mode, this doesn't happen. What can I do??? Thank you!

In addition to what Dave has said you need to apply the latest
security patches from Microsoft. In this situation Google MS04-011
which patches a vulnerability in this service.

Ian Kenefick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: System Reboots On Clicking Speech in Control Panel
    ... > My system reboots whenever I click speech option in control panel. ... > I've performed disk check, virus check, ... appear,write down the exact error message. ... Keeping Windows Clean: ...
  • widows xp professional licensing issue
    ... Either the mouse/kbd freezes or it reboots. ... virus, including sasser fix from microsoft, but to no avail. ... much less than buying the same motherboard. ...
  • Java/ByteVerify
    ... OS Windows XP Home SP2, ... Security Patches are kept up to date, AVG has ... This virus abuses the security vulnerability in Java ...
  • all sorts of probs
    ... There's advice there on how to remove the virus, ... >this computer" check box, download a security update ... >etc) then reboots itself and so on. ...
  • Re: Possilbe Virus, Computer Reboots, Cant Boot any Options
    ... | I have a Windows XP machine that reboots after getting the Windows ... Yes I did an Anti Virus scan with Norton ... | So yes I can access the drive as a slave. ...