Re: Trojan - Poebot.Explorer

From: Galen (galennews_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/01/05

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:54:26 -0500

In news:OqpLBntNFHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Pike <stevenospam@rac4sql.net> had this to say:

> Hello,
>
> Giant Anti-Spyware (must be similar to MS beta,they bought company)
> has picked
> up this trojan but only when connected to AOL.It points to the AOL
> 'server.lock' file.
> Giant cannot seem to quarantine nor remove this thing.
> It is not picked up by Ad-Aware pro,Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
> Pro,Macafee anti-virus.The file was also submitted to
> scan<at>virustotal.com without finding anything using a number of
> systems.
> Anyone have any knowledge of this trojan and how to permanently
> remove it.
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Wxp/sp2 with latest security updates.

It could also be a false positive?

For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:

Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
 - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
location:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
 - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
 - Account name: privatenews\spyware
 - Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link

Galen

  • Re: Microsoft Antispyware Not working
    ... >>> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups ... These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: M/S Anti-Spyware Beta
    ... Secondly, it is, as you know, a beta product meaning that it's for testing ... For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the ... support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ... These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Microsoft Antispyware & NETBIOS Messenger
    ... >> You mention that you have all the patches which implies that you're ... For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the ... support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ... These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. ...
  • Re: microsoft antispyware beta 1
    ... For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the ... support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ... These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: antispyware beta 1 manual update failure