Re: Bizzarre Virus-- I think it's a virus...

From: Ian JP Kenefick (ian_kenefick_at_eircom.net)
Date: 03/31/05

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:12:45 +0100

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:57:02 -0800, Lauren
<Lauren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My boss's computer at work uses XP (Home Edition, I believe, it's his
>personal computer as well). We recently have had a spyware problem, tons of
>pop-ups, etc. I thought I fixed it by running Spybot Search + Destroy, but
>then I came back from the weekend only to find that NOTHING is working.
>Something has gotten into the system and keeps turning off the automatic
>Virus Protection (Norton), and it's to the point now that we can't even open
>anything. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get a document to open, but nothing
>off of the start menu, anything like that... I can't even get to my Control
>Panel to do a System Restore, which was the only thing I could think of to at
>least get this to a manageable point! I just don't know what to do...
>whenever I try to open anything a program crashes "Dr Watson
>something-or-another," which is clearly a virus... but it always comes back
>and shows up in the task manager...
>
>Any thoughts??
>I would even appreciate it if anyone can just think of how to calm this down
>long enough to get a System Restore done... something...
>
>lauremo16@hotmail.com
>(No, I'm not 16, I'm 20... )

Follow procedure 1 from using the link at the end of this message.
This uses the Trend Sysclean utility but it has a front end with
countermeasures for combating damage caused by certain viruses. It;s
very effective. You should also fully reinstall Norton Antivirus.
There is a removal tool on the website's 'Post disinfection repairs'
section that takes Norton out in the event that the uninstaller has
been corrupted. Finish up the clean up by using the Spyware removal
utilities mentioned in the 'Remove a virus' section.

--
Regards,
Ian Kenefick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SPYWARE PROBLEMS
    ... | I PICKED UP A SPYWARE PROBLEM THIS MORNING THROUGH THE ... It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode. ... Use noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, et. al., removal tool -- SmitRem.exe ...
  • What is causing IE and Word to stop responding?
    ... Is this a spyware problem? ... attachment and other times Word stops responding as well. ... I have Norton and ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)