Re: Java virus???

From: Old Geaser (old.geaser1_at_verizon.net)
Date: 02/25/05

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:00:42 GMT

Hi Dave,

I think I may have to delete XP ,reformat and reinstall. When I try to do #
1 I have a problem. I get to the delete files and a box comes up called
RUNDLL, it says an exception accured, c:\windows\system 32\ shell32.dll\
control_rundll. I then went to System Tools, Disk cleanup. When I try
to run disk cleanup, I get a flag saying disk cleanup manager has a problem,
and to tell microsoft about the problem.

I think at this point I may have toformat and start again. I have did this
before. Thanks for all the info you sent.

Bert

> 1) Dump the contents of your IE cache -
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Internet options -->
> delete files
>
> 2) Dump the contents of your Sun Java cache -
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet --> cache -->
> clear
> or
> Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java applet -->
> general --> settings -->
> delete files
>
> 3) Download the following two items...
>
> Trend Sysclean Package
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Latest Trend signature files.
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>
> Create a directory.
> On drive "C:\"
> (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
> or the desktop
> (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
>
> Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
> Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
> For example; lpt442.zip
>
> Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same
> directory as
> SYSCLEAN.COM .
>
> 4) Disable System Restore
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
> 5) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode then shutdown as many applications as
> possible.
> 6) Using the Trend Sysclean utility, perform a Full Scan of your
> platform and
> clean/delete any infectors found
> 7) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
> 8) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore
> preferences,
> (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
> 9) Reboot your PC.
> 10) Create a new Restore point
>

> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Old Geaser" <old.geaser1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> | Hello,
> |
> | Running XP --- Internet Explorer---AVG
> |
> | I am getting a message that I have a virus in Doc & Settings. When I
> double
> | click the message it opens a folder called "Virus Enclopaedia" The
> virus
> | is named "Java/Byteverify"
> |
> | It does not show in the virus vault. I recently downloaded Quicktime
> | see pictures. I do not understand what Java is. I have java in
> Program
> | Files. Do I need it and should I delete it? Cannot find a way to
> delete
> | this virus . Any help??? Thanks in advance.
> |
> | Bert

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Java Control Panel Folder Empty - Cannot Uninstall Java 6 Upda
    ... I was able to delete the ghost file from my add/remove programs. ... Tried reinstalling Java but I received the same messages that I ... Windows section, download the 'second' file. ... directions for installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Java Web Start
    ... Please understand that SUN JRE is not a Microsoft Product, ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ... For more information about Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Support, ... >someone who can install programs the download tab is disabled. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Java Control Panel Folder Empty - Cannot Uninstall Java 6 Upda
    ... Tried reinstalling Java but I received the same messages that I ... ghost files I mentioned and Java 6 update 13. ... again and during the install I am getting the same message I get when I try ... Download the one for 'offline installation', ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot access https or windowsupdate
    ... I can connect to any other website. ... Because of a court decision Microsoft will stop all Java support after 30 ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers. ...
  • Re: A MAJOR Problem with Internet Explorer
    ... > ALL Java based Links no longer work. ... > I can't even post my problem for advice at the Microsoft ... > install any critical updates, ... > download it from them, ...