Re: HDD: Hard Drive Dilema

From: Erik (anonymous_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 02/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:03:48 +0100

Aldus sprak Ian Hoare op 15-2-2005 11:33:

> Salut/Hi DigitalBIOS,
>
> First of all, a grovel because I've no idea how to help, except _ perhaps_
> tentatively to suggest that you try to boot in safe mode.
>
> le/on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:21:02 -0800, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>I took the hard drive out from its place and placed it as a secondary drive
>>on another pc to run antivirus software (TrendMicro PC-cillin Internet
>>Security 2005). I found more than 300 trojans and worms....some were
>>repeated, including the known sasser virus.
>

> Ye gods..... Chuckle. wherever was the computer's owner surfing to? I think
> s/he's been a naughty boy/girl. At the very least, I'd read them the riot
> act about having unprotected hex.
>

>>So I have come to isolate the problem to the boot sector of the hard
>>drive...worm?.... messed up sector?... I cant really know for sure.
>

> Someone else may be able to come up with a comment on this, but could
> executing fdisk /mbr restore your boot sector?
>
> I am NOT suggesting you try this without checking VERY carefully first, but
> I have heard of it proposed as a solution for corrupted boot sectors.

I believed that in Win XP the remedy is to boot from the WinXP CD-ROM,
choose repair and excute "fixmbr".

Erik.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: bootsect.bak
    ... The exact function of this file has changed with successive generations of Windows, so this answer may not be correct for all versions. ... These are the most basic, most primitive instructions that make the system start to "pull itself up by its bootstraps" - that is, to "boot" itself by starting from zero. ... The Partition Table has room for four 16-byte entries; each of these tells where one partition starts and ends, plus a few bits of information about that partition, including whether it is the one Active partition on that HDD. ... The contents of the boot sector vary, depending on which operating system wrote it onto the hard drive. ...
  • Re: bootsect.bak
    ... The exact function of this file has changed with successive generations of Windows, so this answer may not be correct for all versions. ... These are the most basic, most primitive instructions that make the system start to "pull itself up by its bootstraps" - that is, to "boot" itself by starting from zero. ... The Partition Table has room for four 16-byte entries; each of these tells where one partition starts and ends, plus a few bits of information about that partition, including whether it is the one Active partition on that HDD. ... The contents of the boot sector vary, depending on which operating system wrote it onto the hard drive. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Restore
    ... D or any other logical drives. ... opts to write it to the MBR (as you can have LILO written to the MBR or to ... the boot sector of the partition on which Linux will be installed), ... bootable partition, loads that partition's boot sector into memory, verifies ...
  • Re: A disk read error occurred; Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    ... I can't tell you how many times I've installed Windows ... I was able to boot into my "Last Known Good" ... Disinfecting boot sector viruses. ... MBR will replace the MBR. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Are computer forensics people as stupid as they seem?
    ... out of the box DCPP isn't really intended to be stealthy ... just using the boot sector code only. ... The DCPP boot disk should just function like the boot sector does: ...
    (alt.privacy)