Re: Hard Drive Dilema

From: Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\) (mike.hall.mail_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 02/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:03:28 -0500

Run the XP CD and do a repair install..

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
"DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0AED6231-5C5A-4B7D-9634-3DB7B415F276@microsoft.com...
>     Hello anyone, first of all...sorry for the long message....this is
> really serious stuff to me.
> From time to time, I do some pc fixing, whether it be on my pc or someone
> elses.  I always finish the job with a satisfactory....not this time.  I
> haven't given a diagnosis yet.  Here's a detailed explaination to what's
> happening:
>
> 1.   I turn the pc on..so far so good....finishes searching for installed
> HDD(s) and/or CD-Roms.
> 2.   As you all know the next step should be this one: a black background
> screen presenting (in this case WinXP) the XP logo and a blue "loading OS"
> indicator at the bottom.  I hope you understand.
> 3.   Well, it never gets to that second step.  I immediately know it's
> serious.  The pc reboots by itself and the cycle restarts all over, again
> and
> again and again.
>
> I took the hard drive out from its place and placed it as a secondary
> drive
> on another pc to run antivirus software (TrendMicro PC-cillin Internet
> Security 2005).  I found more than 300 trojans and worms....some were
> repeated, including the known sasser virus.  I thought that did the trick,
> but I was very very skeptical towards the matter prior to booting up with
> the
> sick hard drive.  I was right...no signs of getting better were apparent.
> So
> I have come to isolate the problem to the boot sector of the hard
> drive...worm?.... messed up sector?... I cant really know for sure.  Im
> cornered beacuse I am forcing myself not to use formatting. Its too early
> for
> that.
>                                     ANY HELP ANYONE?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: msconfig
    ... MVP - Windows Shell/user ... Wesley, though i have never met him, seems to be a very ... >>> Mike Hall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Hard Drive Dilema
    ... Mike Hall ... "Malke" wrote in message ... > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: microsoft antispyware
    ... Hence the need to uninstall the old one to make way for the new.. ... MVP - Windows Shell/User ... >> Mike Hall ...
  • Re: opening recovered office files ?
    ... Mike Hall ... MVP - Windows Shell/User ... > files from his ntfs partition (using a commercial tool), ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Copy XP to new drive - is xxcopy alright?
    ... Mike Hall ... MVP - Windows Shell/User ... > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd ALL ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)