Re: Is there a new Virus going around

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 02/10/05

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:53:02 -0500

Bruce:

I think Sandy knows all that and she uses pseudo email address.

| You've posted to Usenet using your real email address.  By doing so,
| you've advertised to every spammer in the world that you want spam.
|
|      While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam (unsolicited
| commercial email), there are some precautions and steps you can take to
| minimize it's impact:
|
| 1)  Never, ever post your real email address to publicly accessible
| forums or newsgroups, such as this one.  For years now, spammers have
| been using software utilities to scan such places to harvest email
| addresses.  It's a simple matter to disguise your posted email address
| so that these software "bots" can't obtain anything useful.  For
| example, insert some obviously bogus characters or words into your reply
| address, for example: "name@NOSPAMisp.com."
|
| 2)  Never, ever reply to any spam you receive, even to "unsubscribe" or
| "remove" yourself from the spammers' address lists; you'll only compound
| the problem.  If spammers had any intention of honoring the your desire
| not to receive spam, they wouldn't have become spammers in the first
| place.  When you reply to a spammer, all you're doing is confirming that
| he/she has a valid, marketable email address.
|
| 3)  Be especially leery of any offers from websites for free software,
| services, information, etc, that require your email address, or that
| require your email address so you can "login" to access the offered
| service and/or information.  Many such sites are supplementing their
| income by collecting addresses to sell to the spammers.  For instance,
| subscribing to CNN.COM's Breaking News Service will garner you a lot of
| additional spam.  (Of course, not all such sites have under-handed
| motives; it's a judgment call.  If the offer seems "too good to be
| true," it's most likely a scam.)
|
| 4)  DO forward any and all spam, with complete headers, to the
| originating ISP with a complaint.  Not all ISPs will make an effort to
| shut down the spammers, but many will.  One tool that makes forwarding
| such complaints fairly simple is SpamCop (http://spamcop.net).
|
| 4)  Another useful tool is MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net).  This
| utility allows you to preview your email before downloading it from the
| server.  Spammers can even be blacklisted, so that any future emails
| from them will be automatically deleted from the server.
|
| 5)  Within Outlook Express, add any spammers to your Blocked Senders
| list, so the their messages are automatically deleted from the server
| without being downloaded to your PC.
|

| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
| both at once. - RAH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spam
    ... I use SpamCop to report those spam messages that get ... through their server, which would eliminate the need for MailWasher. ... >> or "remove" yourself from the spammers' address lists; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: A interesting way to detect spam based on the proximity of the sender with the receiver
    ... server to check for any other thing like white list, ... reams of spam, tend to keep open only the e-mail port, known as the ... Spammers also tend to have IP ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Random Email Bounces
    ... of my own registered domains that's currently blissfully free of spam - - ... my own wee server here is pretty busy as is :-) ... mailers used by spammers retry failed delivery attempts. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: increase in spam and what to do about it
    ... because your potential customer is using an ISP that happens to get ... As fast as you can come up with a trechnical solution the spammers will ... doesn't stop spam but is very likely to make the innocent pay for it. ... organization, ie. ISP - include hefty fines in your customer contract, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Ethics of Deterrence
    ... against spammers' sites. ... community really was involved in a DDoS. ... complain about spam you receive. ... just complain about spam messages reaching us. ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)