Re: firewall

From: Br0wnbear (brownbearat_at_canadadotcom)
Date: 01/30/05

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:04:59 -0500

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:50:12 -0800, Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com>
wrote:

>joe wrote:
>
>> I downloaded spyware beta and ran a scan, restarted my computer and my
>> firewall was disabled. Tried numerous ways to enable it w/no luck. How
>> can I enable my firewall?
>
>Since we don't know what operating system and Service Pack level you
>have and we also don't know what "numerous ways" means, try this:
>
>FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
>
>MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall:
>
>Start>Run cmd [enter]
>netsh winsock reset [enter]
>Follow prompts and reboot.
>
>The above fix only works on a machine that has SP2 installed. If it is
>pre-SP2, use the WinsockXPFix.exe program.
>
>Malke

You gotta love beta versions of software.

hth
John Brown
"A Computer is almost human. Except
that it doesn't blame its mistakes on
another computer."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardening Windows XP
    ... I will assume a "Windows" operating system is what is ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... Kerio Personal Firewall ...
  • Re: XPs Firewall and general security
    ... If I thought it was intentional, I might suggest that the only thing Microsoft are doing here is actually being the only company to be honest about the viability of a host based firewall in the face of an attack from software running as administrator on the host box. ... I refer to having all points of access to the operating system closed until needed by a verified and safe program. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Best Free Firewall Virus
    ... And NO I do not want to use the XP built in firewall. ... > M$ can't even make a good operating system, why should I trust them to ... I do however recommend installing free virus scanner software. ... It won't bother you with any popups except when it gets its updates (and these ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: where did my message go??
    ... i got Norton Internet Security 2003. ... If i turn the firewall ... But win98 is a piece of krap operating system. ... installation. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat
    ... re-install has happened more than that. ... Heck, even Steve Ballmer, CEO for Microsoft needs to re-install Windows ... We have an enterprise grade firewall behind the router. ... The main problems I encounter again and again are with clueless operators who've ignored repeated instructions about dangerous surfing practices and clicking on attachments - those are the two most common causes of problems - are they caused by the operating system? ...
    (Fedora)