Re: Virus in Jpgs

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 01/28/05

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:01:51 -0500

Tell him to load Anti Virus software and specifically scan for JPEG and JP? extensions.

True JPEGS are in themselves not able to infect. They need a helper application. Anyone
can name any file anything and a EXE file could be renamed as a JPEG.

Put simply the are a very low risk.

"Matthias Marx" <marx@matthiasmarx.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| in a Website there should be a mechanism, to upload jpgs. The IT Manager,
| has the problem, that a user could load a jpg within a virus.
| Is that posible, could a jpg have a virus?
| If the jpg is rendered, is the virus still alive?
|

| Thank you?
|
| Matthias

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus in Jpgs
    ... David is correct that this is a low risk especially once you apply either ... However, just for the record, there has been one reported case of a JPEG ... Once again this was NOT a virus (it did not self replicate, ... that a user could load a jpg within a virus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Can a JPG file have a virus?
    ... It has to use a separate program to extract the virus from the JPEG. ... |>> I thought it was not possible for a JPG file to have a virus. ... You can use steganography to conceal something else inside a ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Using IE and OE is monumentally and criminally insane.
    ... >asking if it was possible to send a virus via .jpg. ... newsgroup post - the principle is the same. ... subject it just throws away the extra characters. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • Re: Can a JPG file have a virus?
    ... As for a virus executing when viewing a .jpg, I think it depends on your ... >> I thought it was not possible for a JPG file to have a virus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Norton AntiVirus 2005 treats Radmin as a Virus ??!
    ... RA was used in the JPEG exploit from easynews. ... UPDATE: We have packet logs at http://easynews.com/virus/ THIS VIRUS IS NASTY! ... can work on a remote computer exactly as if you were right there at its keyboard." ... > Radmin as a Virus ??! ...
    (Full-Disclosure)