Re: MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

From: Novena di'Domina (novenad_at_privata.com)
Date: 01/07/05

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:26:10 GMT

"Orak Listalavostok" <oraklistal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1105082043.499781.110390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I recently disabled certain services suggested in the
> http://www.tweakxp.com web pages (Start==>Run==>services.msc /s) web
> pages as being not needed.

I too have this same problem after following instructions at
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx which tell you which unnecessary
Microsoft services to disable.

 Disable unnecessary services to free system resources Views: 981,076 | Avg.
Rating: 3 out of 5 (1667 Votes) | Print

Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to
run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many
services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU
time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will
speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort
through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that
service depending on what you want to do with your computer. Remember, you
can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the
future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.

  1.. Click the start button.
  2.. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
  3.. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
  4.. Or, just right click on "My Computer" and press "manage".
  5.. This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program.
  6.. Near the bottom of the left pane, click on "Services & Applications".
  7.. Then click on "Services".
  8.. In the bottom of the right pane, click on "Standard".
  9.. This will list the 100 or so "services" available on your system.
  10.. Microsoft erroneously has most of them turned on.
  11.. These should be turned off if you wish to have a safer system.
  12.. Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded
services.
  13.. For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable
Media Serial Number service.
  14.. Find this service in the list and select it with the mouse.
  15.. Right click and select Properties.
  16.. Once the properties windows has loaded locate the Start up type drop
down box and select disable.
  17.. Then just click ok and the next time the computer starts the service
will not be loaded.
Basically, if you don't recognize the service, disable it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [kde] global disable maximize windows by dragging to top of screen?
    ... The other allows you to "tile" two windows filling the screen, ... Disabling: "Maximize windows by dragging them to the top of the screen" ... Switch desktop on edge: "Only When Moving Windows" ... Bottom Right ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed
    ... I too have this same problem after following instructions at ... Disabling these services will free up system resources which will ... This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program. ... Near the bottom of the left pane, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed
    ... I too have this same problem after following instructions at ... Disabling these services will free up system resources which will ... This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program. ... Near the bottom of the left pane, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed
    ... I too have this same problem after following instructions at ... Disabling these services will free up system resources which will ... This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program. ... Near the bottom of the left pane, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: cannot use Win Update 0x8DDD0004 hell
    ... Manager shows the web-browser as 'Running' but it has to be shut down from ... Now if I try and access the Windows Update Site, I get a frozen web page ... Tried downloading and re-installing Win Updater per instructions on this ... I have played with disabling Norton's Firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)