Re: STILL major issues with POPUP POP BEHINDS and and other garbage with IE

From: Martin (invalid.vk2umj_at_invalid.yahoo.com.au)
Date: 12/25/04

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:22:16 +1100

"Mctabish johnsonclan.net>" <mc@ <nospam> wrote in message
news:Rr_yd.11907$k25.10324@attbi_s53...
>I am having major issues with IE. I have tried to install the latest SP as
>well and it says that a newer version is already instaled (I might have
>installed the latest already....) Here is the version I have installed:
>6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
> Symptoms are as follows:
> Lots of popups, some POP Behinds, and then "coupons" on the Left of
> explore when I visit a lot of sites. The POPUPS appear even if explorer is
> CLOSED!!!
> I used to never get any of these untill 2 weeks ago when I got hit with
> several viruii. I got VX2 and then Malware IGETNET. See thread
> Help please with VX2, IGETNET, ugroup and popups dated 12/14/04.
>
> I have cleaned things as recommended.
>
> I have ran SPY BOT S&D several times back to back, it keeps finding
> IEEXPLOIT, I run AD-AWARE 1.05 and it keeps finding tracking cookies, and
> then I run it again, system is clean. I have ran MicroTrends and other
> than error 94, every thing seems OK. McAfee finds nothing.
>
> I have tried all of these steps in both SAFE and normaol mode. During on
> of the steps, that I followed from this roup earlier, I had been told to
> turn of RESTORE POINTS so I can not resotre to an earlier time.
> I do have DATA backed up, but to the OS/APPS so I am HOPING not to restore
> the system....(LAST RESORT!!!!)
>
> This is a laptop using a wireless router (Linksys) that I have a server on
> (on always turned on) that I like to share files back and forth. Sever has
> been turned OFF during this whole time)
>
> Several questions:
> How should I set up MS Firewall, How should I have router setup
> And more important, how the HECK do I get this system back to normal?
>
> Thanks
> Mc

I have IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158IS, running with Zone Alarm
Pro 5.5.062.004 and I have no problems with popups, etc. What the Ad
Blocking of ZA doesn't catch Windows security centre, etc, works out.

Make sure your security setting are set properly and try getting something
like Zone Alarm Pro that will block pop ups/pop under, etc...

Relevant Pages

  • unable to open attachments
    ... i've just transferred to cable internet from dialup & install a Zone Alarm ... The same thing happen when I access my hotmail account from outlook express. ... Home Edition, Spybot S&D, Zone alarm Pro & AdAware... ...
  • Re: Fix for multiple instances of anti-virus in Windows Security Center
    ... Worse, when I removed that anti-virus program, Windows Security Center ... instances of Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic were installed! ... install XP because of reasons non related to Antivir. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Yes or No: Zone Alarm Pro on a new PC (Win XP Home)
    ... I bought Zone Alarm Pro version 3 from Best Buy over the weekend. ... PC came with Dell installing Norton Antivirus and Easy CD Creator on ... I am wondering about which product to install first such as Zone Alarm ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Yes or No: Zone Alarm Pro on a new PC (Win XP Home)
    ... > ver 2 hardware firewall ... > I bought Zone Alarm Pro version 3 from Best Buy over the weekend. ... > I am wondering about which product to install first such as Zone Alarm ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: win2000 hacked.
    ... firewall becomes absolutely useless. ... > I'm using DHCP to get IP adddress and have Zone Alarm pro. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)