Re: Strange Floppy Behavior

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoonnotreally.com)
Date: 12/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:07:28 -0800

it_exprt wrote:

Please quote some of the original post for clarity.

> When a floppy drive acts badly, it could mean the unit went bad, as
> can any hardware in your computer, or it could mean the software that
> runs it went bad. Test all other possibilities before going through
> the expense and aggravation of buying & installing a new floppy drive.
> If you have been shutting down your computer without taking all the
> shutdown steps as required by Windows, or your computer has a habit of
> crashing, your software or drivers may have been corrupted or lost.
> You might want to try reloading the files you suspect may be damaged.

It is very unlikely that the OP has a hardware problem since the
phenomenon only occurs when he is on the Internet. As he originally
said, when he blocks Internet access with his firewall the floppy
activity stops. He should look in his firewall logs for clues.

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Machine locks up - no errors
    ... > it could be a bad fan or something. ... Here are hardware troubleshooting steps. ... observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing); ... MS MVP - Windows Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP2 makes XP-Home/SP1 CD useless - other PC problems.
    ... Bear in mind that thousands of people across the world power up XP SP2 ... these newsgroups are a mere drop in the ocean, and do not point to XP or SP2 ... MVP - Windows Shell/User ... > To me your problem is possibly your hardware is stuck in Windows ...
  • Re: "CLICK" sound in browser isnt working anymore.
    ... Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User ... Folder customizations ... the 'safely remove hardware' button. ... navigate to Sound, speech and audio devices. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I stop "Found Hardware Wizard"?
    ... Do you know which particular piece of hardware the message applies to? ... MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User ... >use the Hardware Wizard. ... >up during the Windows loading process at boot. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)