Re: Script Blocking-File Object: Create Text File --Juno 5.0 Software?

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoonnotreally.com)
Date: 11/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:30:15 -0800

Eli wrote:

> I use Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Juno 5.0 Build 33
>
> In the Juno software, when I click on Help-->-"What'sNew in Juno 5.0"
> on
> the horizontal menu, my Norton Antivirus displays a reading that a
> suspicious script has been detected and that the PC has been halted.
>
> In the Norton AntiVirus logfile:
>
> <<<<
> Suspicious Script Blocked-: File System Object: Create Text File
> Source : JUNO.EXE
> >>>>>

> This scripting alert is followed by several error messages about Juno
> creating an error in......
>
> This has happened several times. So far , it has happened only when I
> clicked on that : "What's New in Juno 5.0" item.
>
> I redownloaded the software from the Juno site, uninstalled the Juno
> and reinstalled from the new Juno 5.0 file. But the same malicious
> script alert occured even with the new installation.
>
> Is this likely a false positive, or could there be a malicious script
> somehow generated by that software?
>
> What might be causing that malcious script alert?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Eli
>

> I use Windows ME
>
> Internet Explore 6.0 SP1
>
> Norton AntiVirus 2004

While I rather doubt that Juno's software is malicious, there's always
the possibility that their website has been compromised and there *is*
a malicious script in there. I think I'd contact Juno and let them know
this is happening, and possibly also Symantec in case it is just a
false positive. I have no idea what the script could be doing, but it
isn't really kosher; one doesn't expect to have a script run when all
you want to see is a changelog. In the meantime, don't click on "What's
New".

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Script Blocking-File Object: Create Text File --Juno 5.0 Software?
    ... I did contact Juno about this several times. ... Got some responses which weren't all that helpful. ... One suggestion was to set the AntiVirus and Firewall detection levels ... The NAV Script Blocking in my case is actually at the default. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Malicious script
    ... It is Norton Antivirus related. ... malicious script trying to execute itself on your PC. ...
  • Script Blocking-File Object: Create Text File --Juno 5.0 Software?
    ... I use Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Juno 5.0 Build 33 ... suspicious script has been detected and that the PC has been halted. ... This scripting alert is followed by several error messages about Juno ... What might be causing that malcious script alert? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • "malicious script" involving helpctr.exe & Norton
    ... When I went to "start">Help and Support, ... "Malicious script detected-HIGH RISK- Your computer is ... Norton Antivirus recognises them as potentially harmful.If ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New Email always opens up WMP9? Virus/Worm??
    ... > I use the Juno e-mail client application on my XP Pro ... should prompt you that something wants to run a script, ... Dump the Juno mail client; ...
    (microsoft.public.security)