Re: Can not access Windows Update or view control panel on ME machine

From: Philip Herlihy (foof8501_at_herlihy.eu.veil.com)
Date: 10/23/04

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:13:01 +0100

Can you get any data off it and then reinstall?

The Pandasoftware online scan is very good, if you want to keep looking for
nasties, but it sounds hopelessly corrupted to me. A fresh reinstall is
very reassuring.

If you go down that path, consider downloading and running the Everest
utility (free for home use from http://www.lavalys.com/) so you know what
drivers you might be looking for.

--
####################
##  PH, London
"Dan Aberdeen" <Dan Aberdeen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to clean a computer it runs on ME and I have installed:
> Pestpatrol, Adaware and AVG antivirus software.
>
> I have disabled restore and I have run all the programs both in Safemode
> and
> normal mode.
>
> I do not have any detected virus's, Trojans or adaware anymore. However
> when
> I start the compter
>
> I can not get onto Windows update,
> If I try to install ZoneAlarm I get this is not a win32 application.
> I have tried to install Norton Antivirus and the install always crashes.
> Other problems with WINME are: ( That I can See )
>
> I can not view any objects in the control panel
> Windows explorer does not start ( I can still use my computer and brows)
> I can not print from IE6 or Outlook express.
>
> Please any ideas,
>
> Regards
>
> Dan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lsass.exe
    ... I have not set up the modem drivers yet. ... >and you wonder why your clean install is infected? ... >firewall and visit Windows Update and read the steps ... >> reinstall or repair Windows xp. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows update scan for new updates always fails (clean XP install) - 0xC80003FA, 0x802400
    ... Why did you reinstall WinXP? ... Did you do a Repair Install or did you format & do a clean install? ... I've been unable to use windows update after a fresh XP SP3 install. ... regsvr32 wuaueng.dll ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Error code 0x80070002 on all updates since KB914388
    ... time that I was trying to reinstall SP-2 to recover from modification made ... So - Let's Fix Your Windows Update! ... These folders contain the Update ... Install files, and anything else necessary to download and install your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Error number: 0x80072f78 after I installed critical updates
    ... So for a workaround reinstall IE, ... > Updates and install all updates except for KB896727. ... >> worked for your case and then brought you back to square one. ... >>> I then went back to the Windows Update site. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: SP1 error 80073712
    ... hopefully everyone else doesn't have to reinstall, ... Windows Update Client ... install for quite some time now, but it has failed every time since i ... Download and then install CheckSUR from the Microsoft Download ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)