Re: Suspected Macro Virus, Please help. I can't detect it.

From: JoshuaM (
Date: 10/15/04

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:39:06 -0700

trendmicro couldn't scan a few files but it did find a sircam.wrm reference
in the registry and deleted it. For some weird reason if I go to safe mode
under Administrator, I cannot run many antivirus programs and stuff. I had to
run it under ther username i had created a while ago.

"JoshuaM" wrote:

> I was getting errors saying they couldn't be posted. Also OS is windows xp. I
> will take a look at that info you gave me, thanks.
> "Malke" wrote:
> > Josh wrote:
> >
> > > I have tried avast, avg, ad-aware, spybot, and swat-it, and whatever
> > > macro is programmed to try to access default placement of start button
> > > in bottom left corner of screen keeps messing up my desktop even
> > > though i moved my taskbar.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I don't know why you think your posts aren't going through, but they all
> > are. One is sufficient. Unfortunately, you didn't even tell us what
> > operating system you are running. Did you do all scans in Safe Mode?
> > Try this in Safe Mode:
> >
> > TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive av tool which has the advantage of
> > not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the scanning
> > engine and the virus pattern files.
> >
> > 1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
> > useful like "Sysclean".
> > 2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:
> >
> > - Sysclean
> > - virus pattern files
> >
> > 3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
> > tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
> > menu.
> > 4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on
> > Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
> > need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
> > able to be removed so you can manually delete them.
> >
> > Obviously, you should get Sysclean from a clean computer that is not
> > connected to your infected one and burn to cd-r. After you've run your
> > Sysclean scan in Safe Mode, post back to this *one* thread with
> > results. One post.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> >
> > "Don't Panic!"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus killed my machine
    ... > just to load up to the desktop. ... > I can however start up in Safe Mode. ... Sysclean - TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which ... Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: ...
  • Re: IE7 Cannot view some png images
    ... As stated in one of my earlier posts I have done this and it had no effect. ... we can boot into Safe Mode with ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights. ... and has only started to happen since I installed IE7. ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer restarts computer after going on-line
    ... was heavily infested with malware which puts the issue in another ... Since the machine can get into Safe Mode, you or your friend can try ... full-featured av, install it, update it, and do a thorough scan. ... Sysclean - TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which ...
  • Re: Explorer slow to load at startup
    ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so ... We may start the problematic computer in safe mode to see if this issue ... Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears. ...
  • Re: Major problems, Please Help Me!
    ... It certainly sounds like you have malware on your system. ... TrendMicro's Sysclean is a fairly extensive tool which has the advantage ... Restart your computer in Safe Mode. ... First try and install it in Safe Mode (some programs will let you ...