Re: SERVICE PACK 2

From: andy smart (anonymus_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/10/04

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:13:58 +0100

Sally wrote:

> I've just installed Microsoft Service Pack 2 and now my
> Norton Antivirus says status unknown. Says it is still
> installed but needs to be switched on...can somebody
> please tell me how to do this.

I'm assuming XP SP2 (seeing as how that's the one that MS are pushing
most highly at the moment)? The others are right in that it does help to
provide the maximum of information when posting :-)

I don't use Norton, but at work where we use Sophos AV we've had the
same problem with our autoupdating in that the XP firewall was
preventing the AV being 'seen'. When we turned off the XP internal
firewall all became well.

It may be that the same thing is in some way happening to you with
Norton. Take a look at the symantec site (and also at MS) to see if
there are any patches or workarounds. If you use a third party firewall
like Zone Alarm then could you do without the XP one and see if turning
it off (control panel >> security centre >> firewall) allieviates your
problem. I'd suggest using a firewall of some kind though.

andy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Blue Screen - Help PLEASE
    ... AV and free Firewall, what happens if the same Blue Screen shows again? ... If we go online with the NIS still installed and try to download the free AV ... ALL versions of Norton will produce a blue screen given time.. ... The notebook turned off and then back on. ...
  • Re: Setup Error when connecting Xbox 360 to MCE2005 PC
    ... many problems were solved over the years by uninstalling Norton ... and using a different antivirus and firewall. ... firewall for all traffic on all ports between the IP addresses 192.168.0.2 ... Attempt to add your Xbox 360 again via the Media Center Extender ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: OT: Hard Drive Backup Tools?
    ... I'm using Norton's System tools on 3 networked systems, and I've never encountered anything that could be construed as 'system bogging'. ... perhaps Norton is getting blamed for something else happening that's being well disguised. ... I NEVER install ANY OTHER firewall. ... Don't install that, and everything works just fine,,, other then using up more resources. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.lightwave)
  • Re: When to install Kaspersky anti virus?
    ... You do NOT want more than one firewall enabled. ... Your anti-virus application should be configured to seek and install updates automatically, daily, at a time when the machine is usually running and connected to the internet. ... Norton software via Add/Remove Programs. ... Videos became choppy again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: FYI: Security Problems Plague XP SP2 via Symantec/McAfee
    ... Because eTrust & your Firewall are complimentary programs, ... the same company what happened isn't a violation of Firewall rules. ... >> Norton System Security, Norton Utilities, etc. are another thing ... >> Symantec has definitely lost their reputation in the past 5 years or so. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)