Re: IE toolbar addd by virus

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 10/06/04

Date: 6 Oct 2004 15:48:10 -0500

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:41:03 -0700, newuser00
<newuser00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Somehow a virus and spyware have added a toolbar to my IE. I tried to
>uninstall all the programs to no avail. I cannot remove the toolbar only turn
>it off. I installed the latest version of IE 6. As well I have sooo many
>pop-ups coming in. Spybot hasn't removed my problems completely. It seems to
>be a temporary bandaid and at reboot it all comes back! Any help is greatly
>appreciated!

Sometimes Spybot is not enough. HijackThis with expert advice is the best tool,
but only after preliminary cleaning from the other tools.

How current is your virus protection? Try one or more of these free online
virus scans, which should complement your current protection:
<http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php>
<http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan>
<http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/>
<http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp>
<http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>

Now check for, and learn to defend against, additional problems - adware,
crapware, spyware.

Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\Program Files\HijackThis -
copy the downloaded file there. AdAware and Spybot S&D have install routines -
run them. The other downloaded programs can be copied into, and run from, any
convenient folder.

First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
it fix all problems found.

Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
full scan (<http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877>), then scan. When
scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

Next, run Spybot S&D again. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a
scan ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix
Problems") that is displayed in Red.

Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
<http://www1.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/prevent.php>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Finally, improve your chances for the future.

Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
Zone).
<https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
<http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

Block known spyware from installing.
<http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
reliable:

Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
use:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
(The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
administrative tasks.

Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the
security products that you use regularly, look for things that don't belong, and
take action when necessary.

Cheers,
Chuck

  • Re: Constant svchost.exe application errors
    ... Spybot S&D has an install routine - run it. ... First update it ("Search for updates"), ... Spyware Info: ...
  • Re: Weird internet problem
    ... AdAware and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them. ... First update it ("Search for updates"), ... Spyware Info: ...
  • Re: 123Mania
    ... This is spyware. ... AdAware and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them. ... First update it ("Search for updates"), ...
  • Re: How to reinstall ...
    ... I have Adaware, Spybot, MS ... > Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools - and download ... > AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them. ... > Spyware Warrior: ...
  • Re: Web Page Colors
    ... Now that you've done the repair, you must access windows updates and install ... Make sure you disable any AV when installing Updates. ... Parasites, spyware malware basics: ... Virus Cleaner - free virus & worm removal tool ...