Re: gdiplus.dll vulnerable versions

From: Bill Sanderson (Bill_Sanderson_at_msn.com.plugh.org)
Date: 09/25/04

    Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:41:56 -0400

    As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on this issue.

    Microsoft says "XP SP2 isn't vulnerable."

    You can't replace those \sxs\ files--they are protected.

    So--near as I can tell, that list is considered to be safe by Microsoft.
    I've got a longer list which includes some application software, including
    items from Microsoft, but not on the list their tool states are at risk.
    Some people are saying the module needs to be replaced, but I'm not
    convinced yet.

    I could easily be convinced in the case of third-party software which
    clearly allows opening an arbitrary image file, though.

    "Gin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > A few days ago I did the jpg update in Windows, then
    > Office. Today I ran gdiscan.exe from ISC with the
    > following results:
    >
    > C:\I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DLL
    > Version: 5.1.3097.0 <-- Vulnerable version
    >
    > C:\I386\SXS.DLL
    > Version: 5.1.2600.1106 <-- Vulnerable version
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144c
    > cf1df_1.0.0.0_x-ww_8d353f13\GdiPlus.dll
    > Version: 5.1.3097.0 <-- Vulnerable version
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144c
    > cf1df_1.0.10.0_x-ww_712befd8\GdiPlus.dll
    > Version: 5.1.3101.0 <-- Vulnerable version
    >
    > So, I still have vulnerable files on my computer even
    > after the updates? If so, what do I do about this? (If
    > there is an answer, please...in layman's terms. Computers
    > are not my thing.)
    >
    > Gin

    • Re: The TCP... settings block my port scanners(kazaa,warez,etc)
      ... Microsoft offers free tech support for virus ... ICF / Windows firewall installed by XP SP2... ... i thought that the installation was ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: ***** sp2 bREAKS eVERYTHING!!!!! *****
      ... My reply had nothing to do with the hardware newsgroup. ... a much bigger view of what happened when SP2 hit the street. ... >a patch or something similar to allow Windows to run it. ... Microsoft provides the proper tools to these vendors. ...
    • Re: ***** sp2 bREAKS eVERYTHING!!!!! *****
      ... My reply had nothing to do with the hardware newsgroup. ... a much bigger view of what happened when SP2 hit the street. ... >a patch or something similar to allow Windows to run it. ... Microsoft provides the proper tools to these vendors. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: ***** sp2 bREAKS eVERYTHING!!!!! *****
      ... My reply had nothing to do with the hardware newsgroup. ... a much bigger view of what happened when SP2 hit the street. ... >a patch or something similar to allow Windows to run it. ... Microsoft provides the proper tools to these vendors. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: ***** sp2 bREAKS eVERYTHING!!!!! *****
      ... My reply had nothing to do with the hardware newsgroup. ... a much bigger view of what happened when SP2 hit the street. ... >a patch or something similar to allow Windows to run it. ... Microsoft provides the proper tools to these vendors. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)