Hosts file changes

From: Bill (nobody_at_home.now)
Date: 09/20/04

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:10:27 -0700

After making changes to my hosts file, can I make changes take effect
immediately without a reboot? (XP Pro) If so, how?

Is there any wildcard or other way to specify, for example, all possible
domains on a domain name? ie let's say xyz.net hosts a.xyz.net, b.xyz.net,
c.xyz.net, 123.abc.xyz.net, etc. I am asking for blocking purposes, not
access purposes - there are sites I want completely blocked from DNS
resolution.

Thanks in advance.

---

  • Hosts file changes
    ... After making changes to my hosts file, can I make changes take effect ... (XP Pro) ... Is there any wildcard or other way to specify, for example, all possible ...
  • Re: Windoze on Macbook - any cause for concern ?
    ... I have successfully got XP Pro running well via VirtualBox on my MacBook ... I need it for occasional use for a database that will ... network connection is already NATed even if your router isn't. ... I wonder if there's a way to set something in the hosts file (Windows ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Weird virus - Please help!!
    ... > I have a computer with Win XP Pro. ... the virus infected a file called explored.exe. ... I deleted these entries in the hosts file and then I could not connect ... > I tried to re-install Windows XP Pro and not long after it started it ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Solved my WinXP/SP2 home network problem
    ... Both machines are on ethernet connected ... I could ping Home from Pro using its IP address but not its name. ... >use the hosts file - maybe workgroup vs. domain untrustworthy? ...
  • Re: cheap gamers wise up
    ... fact that we don't seem to have a credible person on this forum who is ... pro-4E. ... well count me as one very pro 4e. ... the sake of making changes. ...
    (rec.games.frp.dnd)