Re: unknown programs

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoonnotreally.com)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:44:59 -0700

Brian wrote:

> this computer was hit with a spybot,adware,ect. now
> norton says it is clean, i am still having problems with
> it, as it runs slow on the net, and i have a couple
> programs i question, they are deal
> info,tvm,tvm_b5b28,tvmcore,tvmknward. if these are unsafe
> programs what do i do. the deal info is on the add &
> remove programs uitily with no button to click, the tvm
> programs are in the recycle bin at the moment, any help
> will useful to me. thankyou all

You still have malware on your system:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/t/tv_media_display.asp

You said you ran Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Were they the
latest versions? Did you update them first? If not, do so and repeat
your scans in Safe Mode. Here are my standard malware removal
instructions:

Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure
to update these programs before running them. These programs are free,
so run them both since they complement each other. It is best to run
antivirus and spyware removal tools in Safe Mode. You may also want to
run CWShredder and HijackThis from http://aumha.org/freeware.htm.
Although CWShredder is no longer being updated, it will still clean
older variants of the CoolWebSearch malware. A combination of
HijackThis and About:Buster (http://www.majorgeeks.com) works well in
removing homepage hijackers. Please read the instructions carefully.
Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
in Folder Options). Also, make sure you've visited Windows Update and
applied all security patches. Do not install driver updates from
Windows Update. Make sure you are running a firewall.

Make sure your NAV is a current version (not earlier than 2003) and its
definitions are updated.

Malke

--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ccLogviewer error message
    ... possibly a virus. ... From a different, clean machine download Stinger ... and HijackThis from http://aumha.org/freeware.htm. ... Do not install drivers from Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Locks on Shutdown & Cant Run WIndows Update
    ... > often than not, those programs are malware. ... See below for HijackThis links. ... > the most recent System Restore point from the More ... Do not install driver updates from Windows Update. ...
  • Re: Dodgy Desktop!
    ... Here are malware removal steps. ... See below for HijackThis links. ... > the most recent System Restore point from the More ... Do not install driver updates from Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: MyWay.MyBar
    ... The Malicious Software Tool that MS has from Windows Update each month ... you have malware on your system. ... scan with HijackThis. ... System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: windowsXPpro explorer crash
    ... > CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners. ... See below for HijackThis links. ... > the most recent System Restore point from the More ... Do not install driver updates from Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)