Re: I desparately NEED HELP !

From: Cris (cris_at_notienecorreo.com)
Date: 08/31/04

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:02:28 +0200

>I will then need to install the Service >Pack 2

Need? Wait for a moment... (or two...)

1-Before any attempt to install SP2: get information about it. Three links
related:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884130

Get as much information as possible about this issue. Read carefully it and
decide youself what to do and when.

2- Your computer may be running slow for several reasons:

a) Too many programs installed. Uninstall old ones.

b) Too many programs in Start/Run (Execute)/ Type msconfig in the box/ Go to
Start tab and uncheck unnecessary programs.

c) Spy/mal/adware:

Delete history, cookies, tep files and bin.

Update the following programs and run them in safe mode preferrable (F8)

CWShredder - http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Ad-aware - www.lavasoftusa.com

SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Hijack this - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

a squared A2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

AND some in http://www.spychecker.com/topdownloads.html

d) There may be some other causes related to slow PC...

Comment your results.

"Terry Mumford" <terry@jaytee.biz> escribió en el mensaje
> Firts off, to whichever kind sould or souls read this, I
> am a complete DUMBO when it comes to computers, so if
> anyone does have any answers to my query, I would be
> eternally grateful if you could reply with any
> instructions IN THAT MEDIUM, i.e. EASY TO UNDERSTAND
>
> I have Windows XP, I have never had Service Pack 1 as I
> think it came out before I got the computer, however
> being a subscriber to Windows XP magazine, I have just
> received my free disc which is Service Pack 2, and on
> reading up, it appears a little daunting and out of my
> depth on how to install it
>
> FAULT
>
> For some reason my computer is running somewhat slow
> I have ran an adaware program and I have quarantined all
> the low risk items shown in that, there was one high risk
> one also quarantined
>
> I have never run a back up, because I dont know how to,
> can anyone guide me through this step by step
>
> The reason why I give this information, is because it
> says in the write up for Service Pack 2 that a back
> should be done
>
> Also I have an extra hardrive fitted, done by a relative,
> no longer contactible, that appears to work fine, I am
> just telling you this in case it is needed to be known by
> anyone out there who can help
>
> Finally once the slowness and the back up are solved I
> will then need to install the Service Pack 2
>
> Please be reminded I need full and explicit "CHILD LIKE "
> instructions
>
> Are you gane to help me, I hope so, I do not mind coming
> to some financial arrangement once the problem is done
>
> Terry Mumford

Relevant Pages

  • Re: i cant update windows!
    ... > download, but at the very end of the process it says that the ... I havent been able to get any updates ... First - cleanup your machine and ready it for Service Pack 2. ... Then install Service Pack 2 from the downloaded install file (not the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP SP2 has lost my OE files
    ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... themselves (if you have the latest security updates from Windows Update) ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: restoring dbx files
    ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • RE: 0x80072030 error when running ICW
    ... >and the small business service pack two and after installing the server ... >service pack and was trying to install the sbs service pack and it ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: RRAS Wizard failure
    ... With the first part of your reply that I applied Windows Server 2003 SP! ... SBS server 2003 SP1 are you saying that the Microsoft Update service would ... To successfully install SBS 2003 SP1, ... Service Pack 1 for the Windows Server 2003 operating system ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)