wnrot.exe

From: Tlake (Tlake_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:27:12 -0700

I have a file called wnrot.exe in windows\system32 set to load at boot.
Prevents launch of msconfig, regedit, edit.com and prevents AOL 9.0 from
starting fully. Also prevents installation of AVG.

When started in safe mode, Virus does not load.
Virus also appears to load nvsvc32.exe (NVIDIA graphics driver file)
AVG reports file clean. Virus is stopped from fully loading by using
taskkill /im wnrot* /f /t in an infinite loop batch file.
No hits on Google, Microsoft or Securityadmin.info
Please Reply.

System Specs.
Windows XP Professional Laptop
Pentium 4 2.4ghz
40gb HDD
No FDD
CD RW

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New User needs Freeware Firewall ...
    ... >Please explain why you call ZoneAlarm a virus. ... Since it first came out it caused nothing but continual problems. ... first it would not load at startup. ... Then my machine started locking up and crashing. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Computer help
    ... AVG caught it, although I can't say for sure ... whether she ran the .exe file. ... I believe the virus was called ... When I try to load a browser, ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: IE6 hangs when loading page
    ... > I recently installed the WinXP service pack 2 and all IE security updates. ... > Several days later a virus was detected and cleaned. ... > that I noticed that I could no longer load a particular web site that I ... > clean it from my registry files. ...
  • Re: Urgent! Virus Attack
    ... Pop-ups started to appear warning of a virus attack. ... I could not so much as get Vista Help to load. ... I finally clicked okay to "my" virus protection ... So I put the RESTORE disk into the DVD slot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Pages load extremely slow in XP
    ... I ran a virus scan using norton antivirus 2005 and it picked up nothing. ... "bob" wrote: ... > spybot, adaware, and probably microsoft beta-virus scan. ... >> Lately my web pages load very very slow in IE with win XP. ...