Re: hio.dll

From: Scott (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/18/04

    Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:00:32 -0700

    Thanks Chek,

    This tool did the trick after I figured out that the
    hio.dll file had attached itself to both the Explorer
    process and another program called dd.exe. I was able to
    remove it and got back my Internet Explorer -- turns out
    that this thing takes over the default URL and search page
    in Internet Explorer and doesn't allow you to reset it --
    very annoying indeed!.

    Thanks again,
    Scott

    can find on it was
    >written in 1997 as you say about Win95.
    >Lots of malware generates character string type names, so
    some names might
    >turn out to be readable.
    >
    >If you're running Win 2K or XP, there's a program called
    Advanced Process
    >Manipulator available from:
    >http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apm
    >
    >It will let you search through the running processes to
    find the offending
    >..dll, then unload it from the process.
    >Once it's no longer running, you can delete it.
    >
    >Chek
    >

    >--
    >Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly
    >"Scott L" <spl518@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Norton Antivirus is flagging hio.dll as potential adware
    >> yet fails when trying to remove it. Even when
    restarting
    >> in Safe Mode as Symantec suggests doesn't allow removal.
    >> The only thing I find when searching Google is some Java
    >> reference that this enable direct hardware access in
    >> Win95. Do I need this file? If not, any ideas on how
    >> get rid of it?
    >>
    >> Thanks Much,
    >> Scott
    >>

    >.

    • Re: it visits web pages I dont want it to
      ... > My version of Explorer 6 has just got a mind of its own. ... > then bops right back to the Amazon page. ... to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser ... Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer ...
    • Re: control panel missing internet options
      ... Alt + V + T + M toggles the Menu Bar. ... In Internet Explorer, but not Windows Explorer, Alt + V will open the View ...
    • Re: control panel missing internet options
      ... Internet Explorer is running in Maximized mode. ... Alt + V + T will also open the Toolbars menu where you can add or remove the ... In Internet Explorer, but not Windows Explorer, Alt + V will open the View ...
    • Re: Clientman Spyware
      ... (Scan for updates, Review and Install) ... to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser ... - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ... Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer ...
    • Re: Error Saving Web Page
      ... >>Explorer, you may receive the follow error message: Error> Saving Web Page. ... Select Internet Explorer File menu and select Save. ... >>> televisionwithoutpity.com I get a prompt saying:>>> Error Saving Web Page ...