Re: running Ad-aware causes RPC to unexpectly terminated system needs to reboot

From: Bob (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/15/04

    Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:14:02 -0700

    Hi dave,
    I took your advice and chosed the link to symantec. I ran
    the scanner and said no virus found. Also I found
    somewhere in here to temporilly disable the shutdown
    error, you can do the following....

    Click on start -> run
    in the dialog box type cmd and press enter
    then in the cmd window, type in "shutdown -a"

    I did that and let Ad-aware continue to scan. After the
    scan and rebooting the computer, the RPC error went away.
    So I think everthing is ok now unless you or anyone else
    thinks otherwise then please post your opinion or ideas.

    Thanks
    and perform a scan of your platform
    >then report back your results.
    >
    >Trend:
    >http://housecall.antivirus.com
    >http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    >
    >F-Secure:
    >http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
    >
    >McAfee:
    >http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
    >
    >Panda:
    >http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    >
    >Symantec:
    >http://security.symantec.com/
    >
    >BitDefender
    >http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php
    >
    >Dave
    >

    >"Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >| Ok, I have given up searching in the windows XP
    newsgroup
    >| seeing if there where any else having problems when
    >| running Ad-aware. if there is such post I sure can't
    find
    >| it except for a bunch user in this newsgroup saying Ad-
    >| aware is a good recomendation, as well as Windows
    expert
    >| zone saying the samething.
    >|
    >| So I go to try it by downloading the software and
    >| installing it onto my Windows XP Home Edition system.
    >| Though after tring 2 times of scanning my system with
    Ad-
    >| aware, a RPC error pops-up stating somthing to the
    fact I
    >| need to save all my work within such and such amount of
    >| time and the system will reboot after the time has
    >| expires.
    >|
    >| Now the last time I remember recieving this error was
    >| when the spybot32.worm just came out which would almost
    >| make it impossible for me to do anything on my system.
    >| Finding that this was a virus, I followed the
    instruction
    >| from symantec's website on how to remove the virus, and
    >| downloaded the microsoft security patch, and bought a
    >| hardware firewall (Linksys Firewall Router), which
    after
    >| doing so everthing looked fine. Now I get this same
    error
    >| message again when running Ad-aware, so I tried
    scanning
    >| my system with Nortans Antivirus and there where no
    >| viruses found. I also recieved a message this morning
    >| that LiveUpdate had downloaded the new updates on to my
    >| system. So inconclusion I know I have a firewall
    package,
    >| I know that Nortan's Antivirus LiveUpdate is up to
    date,
    >| and I had just scanned my computer after finding this
    RPC
    >| error would pop-up which didn't find any viruses. So
    what
    >| the *!@# is wrong with my damb XP Home Edition system?
    >

    >.

    • Re: Spyware/Recycle Bin Help
      ... I must have some kind of spyware, adware or a virus of ... I try to empty it and it makes the crumbling paper ... What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    • Re: N-TV mit Kommentar zu "Online Durchsuchungen"
      ... Virenscanner und Firewall würden vor allem Bösen ... Das wird bei Windows ähnlich sein. ... nach verwendete Scanner, gering. ... Sondern mal zeigt der Scanner von Hersteller A bei Virus 1 einen ...
      (de.comp.security.misc)
    • Re: VIRUS FILE IN TEMP FOLDER
      ... Virus file found in temp file wrote: ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity given ...
    • Re: spyware is ruining my computer
      ... > I seemed to have picked up a trojan virus. ... > I always refused to download that thing. ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: computer protiction
      ... but got a virus anyway. ... If you don't wish to follow all of the advice immediately, ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)