Re: Outlook Express - messages with attachments

From: N. Miller (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/13/04

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:36:00 -0700

In article <1F3C09C7-D25B-4C8B-9FCE-4F37EF4D73AC@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?
Vmlja2k=?= says...

> I have been getting complaints from clients who say my messages are being
> sent up to 6 times - first five have the same number of kbs, sixth has less.
> And, the information is gibberish. Or, they can't open the files. I have
> run virus scans -and everything says it's okay.
> So, what do I do?

You have already done about all that you can do. You posted under
'Vicki@discussions.microsoft.com'. That is not a real email address, but it
is subject to harvesting by spam 'bots and viruses. It is currently resident
on my HDD, in the Super Gravity message store; which is where my news client
stores the message headers of such messages as I have read. Viruses have
been known to look there, as well as in address books, to find email
addresses. The latest viruses, since at least the last year, or two, forge
the sender email address in order to deflect attention away from the actual
infected computer. Aside from what you have done, and trying to track down
the appropriate ISP abuse department by reading the message headers, there
is little else that can be done.

Except, perhaps, to pray for a miracle. Either that all malware writers will
see the error of their ways, and go straight, or that all Internet users
will recognize that they have a personal responsibly to keep their computers
free of such vermin. I am not greedy; just one of those miracles will
satisfy me.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Q : Win(XP) e-mail 150 Kb virus keeps incoming
    ... This is an effect of the SWEN-filter an infected computer will send ... theese messages to any email adress it can find on the computer. ... Look at the message headers to see what the Reply-path: ... using a facility such as Mega Mail Monitor 3, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: virus hotmail
    ... attention away from the infected computer. ... examine the message headers, and track the message back to the source by ... which ISP owns that IP address, and all that you will be able to do is to ... send an abuse complaint to that ISP; and hope that they will actually do ...