Re: Winregs32.exe shhypc.exe Pest Patrol

From: Alan Andrew (alandna_at_telus.net)
Date: 08/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:53:55 GMT

My TSR virus scan and manual scanner, nor any web-based virus scanner
picks it up. I know Pest Patrol is not "anti-virus" but it's the only
pgm that reports the two files.

Malke wrote:
> Alan Andrew wrote:
>

>>Daily, hourly, I get popups from Pest Patrol that these two files are
>>trying to get into the startup directory. I click that I do not want
>>that to happen. I can find no other reference to them in any newsgroup
>>or on the web. I don't believe they are random letter combinations; I
>>don't believe they are a part of XP Pro or any downloaded software. I
>>believe they are hidden in some normal-looking file like "syshost" or
>>
>>I am also aware that Pest Patrol is fairly aggressive even delusional
>>(paranoid) about strange filenames.
>>
>>I have done many searches in my c. for these files, without success.
>>
>>I have also been told by my workplace IT guru that some viruses,
>>trojans, etc. are relatively harmless and need not be deleted. And
>>sometimes I find a virus that I learn is relatively harmless. But I
>>don't want to instigate any flame-throwing, please!
>>
>>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This problem is more of an
>>itch than a sting or a kick to the groin.
>>
>>Alan in Vancouver, BC
>

> If you do a Google on "Winregs32.exe" you'll get plenty of links
> suggesting this is a virus. Searching for "shhypc.exe" brings up
> nothing, which is suspicious and indicates it's probably a trojan. What
> does a scan with a current antivirus program (meaning a version not
> earlier than 2002 and using updated virus definitions) show? Pest
> Patrol is not an antivirus.
>
> Malke
>
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Winregs32.exe shhypc.exe Pest Patrol
    ... "Alan Andrew" wrote in message ... > My TSR virus scan and manual scanner, ... I know Pest Patrol is not "anti-virus" but it's the only ... which is suspicious and indicates it's probably a trojan. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Unremovable browser hijack (xxxxxx.outhost.info/)
    ... I've also run pest patrol and Lavasoft, ... > but neither recognise the virus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: computer "hangs" during startup
    ... I routinely run virus checks with symantec and I normally ... but I will try pest patrol. ...
  • virus
    ... Norton Anti-Virus. ... remove the virus and can't. ... >Grizz try Pest Patrol. ... patrol says they can remove these adware prog. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)