WU, NAV 2004 Pro & Security Center? Incorrect Virus Detection?

From: PV (soonacop_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/11/04

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:42:34 -0700

Hi, folks.

Reinstalled Win XP Pro with a slipstreamed SP2 today---
performed a reformat with a clean install. Reinstalled
many apps, including Norton Anti-Virus 2004
Professional. The last thing I did before leaving for
dinner was run Windows Update---and nothing came up.

Came back from dinner. Norton Live Update indicated
there was an update---I downloaded it, and it was a
modification to NAV so that it correctly interfaced with
the new Security Center so that Security Center would
correctly detect whether NAV was current. After
installing the Live Update, NAV and Security Center
worked fine--no more incorrect notifications from
Security Center about being unable to determine whether
NAV was out of date.

After installing this update, I again ran Windows
Update. This time WU prompted me with the following
Critical Update:

Mydoom, Zindos, and Doomjuice Worm Removal Tool (KB836528)
Download size: 119 KB, less than 1 minute
This tool helps remove the Mydoom.A, Mydoom.B, Mydoom.E,
Mydoom.F, Mydoom.J, Mydoom.L, Mydoom.O, Zindos.A,
Doomjuice.A, and Doomjuice.B worms from infected systems.
The appearance of this update means that your machine is
likely infected with one or more of these worms. For more
information on protecting your PC, visit the Microsoft
Protect Your PC Web site at www.microsoft.com/protect.

Rather than install the Critical Update, I made sure my
virus definitions were current (defs: 8/10/04), and ran a
scan. NAV did not detect any viruses whatsoever.

I suspect that there was something in the NAV update
which is incorrectly causing Windows Update to detect a
non-existent virus. Anyone else having this problem?

Relevant Pages

  • I have a similar problem
    ... installed the Critical Update yet. ... the new Security Center so that Security Center would ... correctly detect whether NAV was current. ... Rather than install the Critical Update, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Svchost.exe?
    ... >I thought Norton Anti-Virus was supposed to get rid of this problem? ... If you installed NAV and didn't install the virus updates it will not ... NAV will detect and disable any viruses but it may not ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: SP2 virus monitoring
    ... Only on my personal 2004 NAV ... I don't imagine there is much we can do until Symantec gets their act ... > My Security Center still doesn't show my Virus Protection status as ... > the update I needed didn't install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: AV wanted for Win95 through to XP Pro
    ... Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) version 2001 or 2002. ... product and obtain another year of update service. ... You can configure the product to seek out and install updates on a ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)