Re: Virus Question

From: Roy Coorne (rcoorne_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/11/04

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:30:39 +0200

Chek wrote:

> There are hundreds that do that.
> First activate XP's firewall ( Go to help type in firewall)
>
> Get all critical updates from windows updates.
> Get a free online anti-virus scan from any of these, preferably more than
> one:
> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> McAfee Security - FreeScan
> http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
>
> Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>

> Never go online without a firewall and an updated anti-virus program
> activated.
> Never open any attachments without knowing what they are, who they're from
> and why they sent them.
>
> www.grisoft.com
>
> offers a free one, AVG6
> Hope this helps
> Chek

But before following the path of reasonable behavior as outlined by Chek,
- apply a removal tool like McAfee's Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
- save all data (and only data)
- (re-)install Windows on a clean hard disk (formatting during install).

Roy

--
This posting is provided „AS IS" with no warranties
and confers no rights.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus Question
    ... First activate XP's firewall ... Get all critical updates from windows updates. ... Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: How to prevent from attacking by Dialer.Dialplatform(Threat)
    ... Click the 'security tab' then 'custom level'. ... Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly "Rebecca" wrote in message ... > Hi, Chek, ... >> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Error number: 0x800A01AD and antivirus
    ... computer before you ever connect to the internet again by using a firewall, ... I suggest you try a free online site to ... and run AdAware to scan for and hopefully remove parasites. ... >I get this error message when I try to update windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Regedit and Regedt32 closing down automatically
    ... > Looks like somebody was able to go past my firewall and infected my computer. ... Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan ... McAfee Security - FreeScan ... Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to prevent from attacking by Dialer.Dialplatform(Threat)
    ... "Chek" wrote: ... > Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan ... > McAfee Security - FreeScan ... > Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)