Re: MSN UPDATE CONTAINS "MALICIOUS CODE"

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoonnotreally.com)
Date: 08/08/04

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 07:10:41 -0700

STEPHANIE wrote:

> EVERY TIME I SIGN ON LINE A WINDOW POPS UP OVER MY SIGN
> IN PAGE RIGHT AS MY HOME PAGE IS KICKING IN. IT IS A
> WOMANS FACE WITH MSN LOGO AND BUTTERFLY ABOVE, LOOKS VERY
> AUTHENTIC AND STATES THAT I HAVE NEW UPDATES READY TO
> INSTALL. WITHOUT THINKING I CLICKED ON "INSTALL NEW
> UPDATES NOW". IMMEDIATELY MY SYMANTEC / NORTON POPPED UP
> AND WARNED ME THAT MALICIOUS CODE HAD BEEN DETECTED, SO I
> CLOSED THE WINDOW AND EVERYTHING IS OKAY. MY PROBLEM IS
> THE WINDOW IS STILL POPPING UP EVERY TIME I TRY TO GO
> ONLINE AND I CAN'T GET RID OF IT. ONCE I TRIED "REMIND ME
> LATER" AND AGAIN NORTON CAME UP WITH THE MALICIOUS CODE
> WARNING IN RED. THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID THIS SURE INFECTION
> IS TO CLOSE THE WINDOW EVERY TIME I GO TO SIGN IN. WILL
> IT EVER GO AWAY? ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS? HAS
> IT HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? PLEASE REPLY. THANK YOU.

You probably have a spyware on your system. Remove spyware with Spybot
Search & Destroy from www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from
www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure to update these programs before running
them. These programs are free, so run them both since they complement
each other. It is best to run antivirus and spyware removal tools in
Safe Mode. You may also want to run CWShredder and HijackThis from
http://aumha.org/freeware.htm. Although CWShredder is no longer being
updated, it will still clean older variants of the CoolWebSearch
malware. Please read the instructions carefully. Also, make sure
you've visited Windows Update and applied all security patches. Do not
install driver updates from Windows Update. Make sure you are running a
firewall.

BTW, please don't post using all caps - a) it is considered shouting and
rude; b) it makes your post hard to read.

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Occasionally opens up new windows needlessly
    ... "Log off," and it opened up a new window, thanking me for logging off. ... steps) if they want to make sure their system is not infested with spyware, ... install it, UPDATE it, and RUN it... ... get yourself FIREWALL if you do not have it... ...
  • BOY...!!! Do I ever have problems! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    ... got to the Win XP startup window, just cycling on and on, rebooting. ... install, after it formatted the HD a number of times, like 7- 10 ... A friend of mine suggested running FixMBR, ... report any viruses, spyware, malware, etc. Spybot can't find any ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: At wits end - "No Audio Device"
    ... PnP enumerator then delete the registry entries and go through the steps to ... On the Registry Editor window select the Edit menu then select Find. ... something like Install Anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Bit Twister: Is this the dhclient-exit-hooks you were talking about?
    ... It lets you take a screenshot ... See slrn running in the term window? ... Redhat left the linux user community in the lurch awhile back ... She will go for that and then I can get on with the FC5 install that I ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Aluminum frame and replacement window problem - window.jpg (0/1)
    ... You cannot post pictures directly to a.h.r. ... I can install the one I didnt ruin and use the aluminum frame as the stop. ... look different than the replacement window that will be next to it. ... sash out, a bit, and slide some kind of moisture barrier ...
    (alt.home.repair)