Re: Dead computer

From: Chris Berger (arkayn_at_ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: 4 Aug 2004 10:29:22 -0700

Stuartathome <Stuartathome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<E94CDBA6-0613-4B84-8A0B-AB051F50D7B3@microsoft.com>...
> One possible solution is to remove your hard disk, set the jumpers to 'slave' and then connect to another computer's disk and boot from this. Your disk will then be visible. This will at least give you the opportunity to collect all the required files before re-installing Windows.

I am having a similar problem to this. When I set the jumpers to
slave and connected the HD to another computer, that computer hangs
when starting. When I tried to do a "repair" installation on the
original computer, using the Windows 2000 disk, installation insists
that there are no hard drives attached to the system.

This computer was running overnight and was set to auto-forward emails
to another computer, which was also on overnight. When the person who
uses the second computer came in in the morning, he said that there
was a Norton antivirus warning that came up saying that Norton had
been tampered with. He closed the windows, so I don't know exactly
what it said. His hard drive is fine. The original computer, though,
is hosed. Any ideas what kind of blast worm might have cause
something like this?