Re: Opinions about What is the best anti-virus software for a Windows 2000 Server?

From: Sharon (torgo7_at_comcast.net)
Date: 07/07/04

Date: 7 Jul 2004 12:18:17 -0700

bconneely@yahoo.com (BC) wrote in message news:<dba7d68e.0407061954.711fdf39@posting.google.com>...
> "Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message news:<ehaWUW5YEHA.2480@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > Nate Goulet wrote:
> >
> > > Opinions about What is the best anti-virus software for a Windows 2000
> > > Server?
> > >
> > > (snip)
> > > I'm also concerned about Spyware, and would prefer a package that is
> > > combine Anti-Virus/Spyware protection.
> > >
> > > Upgrading InoculateIT is probably the easiest thing to do since it's
> > > already configured & installed.
> > >
> > > I really like Trend Micro's online Housecall scanner, and have heard
> > > good things about their anti-virus programs.
> > >
> > > I've found the standard version of Norton Anti-virus seems to be a
> > > target a bit like Microsoft, so I almost wonder if I should stay clear
> > > of that for the server. I've also read a lot of bad reviews about
> > > Norton Anti-virus 2004.
> > Hi
> >
> > We use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and are very happy with
> > it (it has nothing in common with Symantec's AV consumer versions).
> >
> > The latest version (9.x) has also added spyware and adware detection.
> >
> > Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition
> > http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=155
>
> I've been having better luck with foreign antivirus products
> like AVG and F-Prot. McAfee has been terrible for years and
> Norton's latest versions have been unstable resource hogs.
> Some other products that have had good reviews and word of
> mouth are Kaspersky, Panda, NOD32, and Command (F-Prot
> packaged differently).
>
> -BC

I really like AVAST!. It's free and so far has been doing an excellent
job. I'm really starting to lose faith in Norton. It seems that
anymore their response to a problem is to purchase the latest edition,
which some of us can't afford to do. These foreign anti-virus
programs are getting great reviews. Their problem is they don't have
the big advertising bucks (especially since most are free) and
therefore a huge segment of the population is unaware of their
existence.